Chandelier - coffee shop

Surprised by the lack of baby friendly service. I popped in for a cup of tea and to feed my 4 week old baby as I had managed to lock myself out only to be given the table right at the back (nearly in the kitchen) despite the cafe being almost empty. Even when I asked to sit somewhere more comfortable and explained that the baby would be quiet I was told I could not sit any where else. Not very friendly or supportive surprising for east Dulwich

Sorry but why should a cafe be especially 'baby friendly' its a business not a creche.

perhaps they anticipated getting busy and not knowing how long you'd be there nursing a tea decided to put you where you and baby wouldn't be in way or get disturbed.

I've never been in Le Chandelier as it just doesn't appeal to me so I'm not some over zealous fan of the place, I just find it a bit daft as complaints go...at least they didn't tell you you had to order a full meal in order to stay..that would have been un supportive.

By all means set out your stall as a more "adult orientated" cafe given all of the other family friendly options on the Lane.

But do it with soft skills and a clear policy that doesn't offend or alienate multiple customers or face:

- Less revenue by not adapting to changing local demographics

- Negative PR generally whether on forums, review sites or by word of mouth

- People generally thinking you're a deeply unpleasant human being

Note to lawyers - the above applies to any business generally. Feel free to sue me...but check your bank balance first.

I went there a lot before having a baby and always liked it. But after having a baby the service was never the same and I wasn't made feel welcome at all. So I stopped going and haven't been back since, with or without baby. I think somewhere child free is fine (and a welcome retreat for those wanting some time out from baby/kids) but just being upfront about the policy as opposed to being rude to customers with kids might be a better way to go about it...