Dulwich Hamlet Leisure Ltd Gym

ianr

It looks as if it's not just the car wash that's being "tidied up". According to a post from tuttifrutti, now moved to the Business board at http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1314492,1314492#msg-1314492, gym staff are now being moved on. I'd suggest reading her post, from which:

"The point I want to clear up is on Friday 25th April myself and two other member's of staff were told by management that we were to be given two weeks notice as the club had been bought by a external operator that NO-ONE knew who they were. Not very happy but what could we do. It then transpires when we turn up at work the following Monday that we were to be let go with immediate effect as they were not keeping ANY existing staff as Dulwich Hamlet Leisure ltd was being wound up."

I don't really understand the situation. Does this mean the gym's closing? If so, the two weeks pay-off looks miserably low. And if not, isn't there protective legislation (TUPE) for employees of businesses that are taken over?

There's no indication yet on the Companies House website of any application to dissolve Dulwich Hamlet Leisure Ltd. (you can check by searching at http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo), clicking on the company number to go to its entry page, and then clicking on the "Order information on this company"). You can see changes of directors: Ian Lumsden, Brian Higgins, Ian Andrews, all out on 28 February; Peter Bennison, in 28 February, out 7 April; Matthew Lee Rimmer, in 8 April.

If the staff are unionised (which I am guessing they're not) then they should be getting advice (and legal support) from their union on this (it's what unions are for - your employer doesn't have to 'recognise' a union for you to gain this sort of benefit from membership) - but otherwise I think there's a very good case for unfair dismissal - depending on length of service 2 weeks pay is well below any legal requirement for redundancy pay for a continuing business, and there are certainly TUPE issues for a business which has been taken over.

All in all this stinks, as a way of treating staff. Citizens Advice or other agencies should be able to give some advice here on legal rights of employees. Or get advice from a solicitor - although this will cost money.