Use a Dog Walker? - Warning

jwall

If you use a dog walker I have a little warning.

I was just walking through Nunhead Cemetery and a big Golden Retriever came running from out of the woods a good 100 metres out and onto the road. Having got the dog back, I tried to find the owner to let them know and found a dog walker - hadn't event noticed the dog was gone. I told her - I just got this dog out of the road, were you aware that the dog was missing...her response....(didn't look interested, wouldnt make eye contact) - 'I never know which dogs they will put together' - I was puzzled, and waited for a more responsible / caring response, didn't come. I walked off noticing that of the 7-8 dogs she was walking (that I could see) all were running off in different directions and there wasn't a chance that she was in control. I did see another walker who looked more in control walking in the cemetery so I'm sure they are not all like this but be aware if you don't want to pay for your dog to be running down the road. May also be worth mentioning that the Golden Retriever although in the road, did seem to be having a really good time.

Sadly I think this is quite common. I am not a dog owner, but take a friends dog for a run every Tuesday morning.

Twice now, at the entrance to Peckham Rye park opposite Harris Girls, I've come across a small white "Scottie" type dog on the footpath running up the hill. Both times I've herded it back down towards the park, where a woman with a group of small dogs (could all be hers I guess, but she doesn't seem particularly interested in them) was, halfway down the path towards the skateboard park.

Both times she's seemed completely unbothered by the fact the dog was out of the park and heading in the opposite direction.

Whether she's a dog walker, or an owner, it's really irresponsible :(

That's terrible behaviour for a dog walker. Have seen different large groups of dogs being walked there. Thankfully Limesford Road is a fairly quiet road for traffic. It's not possible for someone to control that many dogs, and pick up their poo either.

I do know that Angela Norton's dog walking service, Complete Pet Care, foists lots of dogs onto their dog walkers, as have seen it myself in Peckham Rye. Have met quite a few dog walkers who used to work for this company and then left. The more dogs with one walker, the more profit for the company owner. Norton also had two or three Westies (the white Scottie type dogs) of her own, at one point.

I did use CPC at one point, but after seeing how many dogs were being walked at once, I decided to not use them.