Scones wanted

Linzi_77

I want to do an afternoon tea on Monday but I'd rather buy expertly made scones than mess them up myself :) Was recommended to try Luca's but seemingly it's closed? Would anyone like to recommend a bakery that regularly stocks scones?

Scones are so easy to make, esp. the American style ones where you pat out a round and then cut into triangles. I think for some reason people get intimidated by scones, not sure why though. You need to make sure your baking powder and or baking soda (bicarb) is fresh and stale can often lead to things not rising.

The BBC Good Food website has lots of lovely recipes. The Dish and Spoon have fantastic cheese scones but they would work out quite expensive to buy separately.

Ayres Bakery in Nunhead.

Scones are easy to make. I disagree about buttermilk, fresh baking powder etc. I think the secret is to handle as little as possible and only roll out the dough once - not too thinly. Repeated rolling means less rising. And that rule means you get to squidge all the left over bits together in to one lovely big test scone. Testing your baking is the law.

I do agree about handling them as little as possible. Usually buttermilk needs baking soda to help activate. If you are going to bake something which you want to rise, then using fresh ingredients is essential in my opinion. If your self raising flour is old, then you should add a raising ingredient. I always buy new containers of raising ingredients every six months, whether they are empty or not.