Plumbers

Just had this toilet installed. The cistern has not been fixed flush to the wall but instead the plumber has applied a thick layer of mastic seal. Apart from the fact it looks my 12 year old could hAve done better job, it looks tacky and messy. Have not paid the plumber has have told him I want it flush against the wall and job with neater finish. Any ideas as to why the job would end up looking like this.

Screws too long or screws not tightened fully or limited access in cistern to tighten screws or cistern design to fit proud of wall so you can get lid off or toilet pan fitted first limiting pipe available to get to flush outlet on cistern are obvious possibilities.

Whatever the reason, the sealant is shameful - are you sure it's not covering damage to the cistern ?!

My thoughts exactly. No he's not Polish or European. I have sent him a very polite text alerting him to the fact that I'm unhappy with his work and that if he wants paying he will need to rectify the work. Thanks to all of those who replied to my plight. Your suggestions have been very useful. Watch this space