Super fast broadband?

Firstly is there truly such a thing?

I work from home and currently use Sky broadband, but I do a lot of uploading of work and could do with the fastest connection I can have.

Can anyone recommend a provider who actually achieves fast broadband in this area?

Virgin tends to be better I've found. I used sky previously and switched for same reason. Virgin has it's own problems too - the router is poor quality and sometimes stops working completely however when it does work I get 80Mbps down and 12 up pretty regularly

BT offers BT Infinity (Fibre to the cabinet) which does achieve high(ish) speeds for domestic broadband - higher speeds will be achieved if you are directly connected (by cable) to your modem/ router, and if you are not contending with other computers, mobiles, internet TV services etc. in your own house.

If you have a 'busy' household and are connecting via WiFi then things will appear mcuh slower than the system will actually support, if optimised.

But best case, you are talking medium to high 10s and not 100s Mbs

It seems domestic operators max out around 20-50 Mbit/s up. If you need faster than that there are lots of commercial vendors in London that can make that happen, but it tends to be very expensive indeed. As an example, http://www.sohonet.com/ seems to be the common network provider amongst a lot of media companies, offering up to 10Gbit fiber solutions on dedicated fiber.

Am on Zen Internet. Had a slightly rocky start getting online with them which wasn't entirely their fault, but very happy with it since. Am on their mid range fibre package, 37mbps download 8-9mbps upload. They do have a faster one as well. It's not the cheapest but I chose them because they got such good reviews.

Thank for all your responses -

just run the speed test and I have:

download speed of 9.36 mbps

upload speed of 0.77mbps

This is a bit crap isn't it?

The computer in question is connected by cable to the router, and is the sole computer except for the usual iPhones/iPads etc which tend to be used at different times. Might have to look into BT...