francklin pub

miliaore

miliaore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> they have seats on the paivment and its not nice

> or ligal

It is both nice and legal!! Your spelling on the other hand should be neither...

It's illegal if they don't own the part of the pavement where the tables and chairs are. Some places put tables and chairs out and see if they can get away with it. Some places don't care if they block the pavement either, which is especially hazardous for blind and partially sighted people, and folk in wheelchairs. Best to check with Southwark council to see is that what they are doing is within the law.

Just how, head banging, demented does someone have to be to post about a long standing restaurant having some tables outside ? Pavement isn't even narrow there

Sit outside franklins on a summers evening and enjoy your life

Posting about niceness and legality? Dead inside

Basically the original post reads like someone with a personal grudge

Mustard Wrote:

> It's illegal if they don't own the part of the

> pavement where the tables and chairs are. Some

> places put tables and chairs out and see if they

> can get away with it. Some places don't care if

> they block the pavement either, which is

> especially hazardous for blind and partially

> sighted people, and folk in wheelchairs. Best to

> check with Southwark council to see is that what

> they are doing is within the law.

Really? Check with the council? Let's all wear high viz vests if we drink or eat on the pavements...

Seriously, we live in an area with very few places to eat and drink outside. Just relax and enjoy it.

speedbird Wrote:

> Mustard Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It's illegal if they don't own the part of the

> > pavement where the tables and chairs are. Some

> > places put tables and chairs out and see if

> they

> > can get away with it. Some places don't care

> if

> > they block the pavement either, which is

> > especially hazardous for blind and partially

> > sighted people, and folk in wheelchairs. Best

> to

> > check with Southwark council to see is that

> what

> > they are doing is within the law.

>

> Really? Check with the council? Let's all wear

> high viz vests if we drink or eat on the

> pavements...

>

> Seriously, we live in an area with very few places

> to eat and drink outside. Just relax and enjoy it.

If you look at the OP's history, she is disabled, so perhaps she finds the tables outside the restaurant obstructive. That is why I suggested she check with the council. Not sure what the high viz remark has to do with anything, especially not in the case of someone with vision problems.

Actually, we passed by there tonight, and there appeared to be about double the number of tables outside than there used to be.

Most of the pavement outside Franklins is now taken up by tables, and if for example you had a wide double buggy I think it would be quite hard to squeeze through the remaining narrow space with it.

Glad they are doing so well that they need so many outside tables, but also surprised they are allowed to have them.

ETA: We walked through side by side and I was quite worried I might knock over somebody's glass of wine as the "gangway" was so small.

It's easy, just say "whoops, 'scuse me !" as we manoeuvre through and, hey presto, people apologise and move their chairs etc. etc.

We just had one of the worst winters for weather, summer's finally here. Let people sit-out while there's a chance !!

Ha really?!? In what dictionary? Talking about someone?s spelling is not bullying. Criticising someone?s spelling is not bullying.

She made two trivial statements, one that it was not nice (which is opinion) and one which stated that it was illegal (which was incorrect). My statement was continuing the triviality of the original post.

Have to agree with Sue, I walked through "the gap" and it was narrow enough to get my rucksack caught on one of the chairs - I would consider myself to be pretty skinny as well.

Aside from people mocking the OP's spelling and blunt question she/he does raise a valid point, If you have a buggy, are disabled/ in a wheelchair then there would have been no way to get through unless you went onto the road....

One of the problems is that the Sun does not shine on that side of the road until around 13.00 ish.

Having an extra row of seats further out means they get an extra 1/2 hour or so of sunshine.

Perhaps a little more.

Just a thought.

Foxy.

Why not go into Franklins and ask to see their table and chair licence. If they can have 6 chairs and they have 12 then it is clearly illegal for the additional chairs.

From my experience of outdoor eating is that many places have their exterior chairs and tables placed inside a very defined area usually marked out by a brightly coloured ground to waist high plastic 'wall' which is taken in when premises are closed. I do find it odd that people at Franklins want to sit right at the kerb side of LL eating and drinking with all the traffic fumes etc