Dulwich Lofts

Twilight

Dear all

I post here in an act of desperation and as a warning to all those contemplating a loft conversion. In April 2013, I decided to do a loft conversion to my two bed, typical ED terrace. I received quotes from Classic, Dulwich and Outlook Lofts. Dulwich Lofts weren't the cheapest but I fell for the rugged, workman like nature of Pat Egan (the owner of Dulwich Lofts) and the lilt of his architect (Pamela Fitzsimmons). In June of 2013 I paid the deposit. Work commenced (via subcontractors, which I hadn't been told about) in October 2013.

In December 2013, I had a massive amount of water ingress through one of the two party walls. Pat Egan insisted that it was due to a problem with my neighbour's property. This is owned by Grainger plc; an independent survey has since been conducted by Banbridge Surveyors (I can't recommend them enough) and the report makes for eye-watering reading. It indicates that the roof is wholly sub-standard; the walls which were built to create the new space have significant cracks and have actually crossed into the territory that legally belongs to my neighbour. Interestingly, the surveyor was surprised that it had received approval from Building Control; the "trick" here is that Pat Egan used 'Approved Building Control' [a company called ACT Building Control - based in Gloucestershire] as opposed to Southwark Council under the guise that it would be quicker (PM me if you want more details). Since then we have had Russell from PJP roofing around to ask have a look at it; in his opinion it was the worst 'new' roof he had ever seen; the surveyor said he feared for his life when he stood on it.

For the last few months water has started to enter via the second party wall. I have called, emailed and written to Pat Egan (and all those associated with Dulwich Lofts) on numerous occasions and sent him copies of the surveyors report. Other than send an email to say that he planned to appoint his own surveyor (no timescale specified), he has not responded. 13 months after this entire saga began and having paid 95% of the entire contract value to Pat Egan, my home is still a building site - he has ruined the arrival of my first born and caused untold damage to my marriage.

To top it all off, I recently bumped into his son, Damien Egan. He would happily come round to collect the payments - when questioned about the lack of response, he reported that he was 'no longer working for Dulwich Lofts'.

I had thought I was the only person in this situation, but I see that the poster EDAus has had similar problems ? if anyone knows of a good lawyer, please PM me ?

But above all else, avoid this company like the plague ?

Can you take legal action?

They duped you with a spurious building control story. They should be responsible enough to inform you and the legitimate local BC. look up advice on this...I'm sure you have already. Also google se london building and construction solicitors, talk to a few before you commit yourself. I am sure you will get useful info before you commit to spending money. Otherwise pop down to your local legal advice centre. They don't do much but could give you pointers.

Good luck

N

• 6 months later...