Loft Conversions

From recent posts on here it seems that the loft conversion business fraught with problems and can be run by cowboys who promise the earth and don't really know what they're doing. Can anyone recommend a company that did a really good job?

Yes. There seem to be good and bad reviews for most. It's often down to that team of builders being used, which would differ. Also, companies are able to post bad reviews of other companies. Best thing is to find a house having a loft done, knock on the door and ask the owners how it's going. Any genuine positive reviews out there, anyone?

I don't think any company will have universally good feedback, because most have various builders working for them, as well as a pool of different tradespeople they subcontract to (plasters, electricians, plumbers, roofers, scaffolders, labourers). Also every build is different, old houses suffering from various different problems and quirks. So every experience will be different.

I've had two loft conversions done, and chose Sky High and Loft Life based on recommendations here. Largely happy with both builds, both companies were easy to deal with. But no project is without its problems. I think realistically whoever you choose, you'll need to keep a close eye on things (especially in the last week or two) to ensure corners are not cut and things are done properly.

I've seen a few plans from various loft companies over the years and my advice to everyone would be to ask them to FULLY explain what headroom you are going to end up with in your loft room. Plans can be very misleading.