Carpenter recommendation

grizel

• 2 weeks later...
I can second the recommendation for Joe Hickey (07557 949929). Joe has just fitted a kitchen for me, which was done to a high standard and at a fair price. He helped with the planning, giving tips on where to save money etc. and worked with me to draw up a schedule for various aspects of the job, including providing contacts for other tradesman in the area (electrics, plastering). He was reliable, polite and when I went away for a few days, went way over and above, coordinating deliveries for other parts of the house and liaising with other workmen. He took care over the details and I was so pleased with the job I've already asked him back to make shelves elsewhere - highly recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
We've just had work done by Joe and he's been absolutely great. He fitted various shelves including bookshelves and replaced handles and latches on our doors.He was very sympathetic and knowledgeable about the sort of look we wanted in our 1920s house, full of good ideas, and worked really hard - working evenings to get the work done before we moved in. Really pleased and will be using him again. Don't know why some people here seem unhappy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Joe divides opinion, clearly. And I guess it's all about expectations, isn't it? He's a chirpy chap, good natured, polite, talks a good talk, and sings while he works. It all boded well. Unfortunately, it didn't end that well and we're left utterly underwhelmed. Joe came in to do some shelves and a cupboard; straightforward stuff. He's been and gone now, the work is done, and while I didn't (obviously) expect to stand back and admire it in total wonder at the sheer unequalled exquisiteness of it all I certainly didn't expect to do quite as much work on his work after he'd left, I didn't expect to have to do quite so much sanding to avoid splinters, or to remove pins from tung and groove slats to avoid nasty cuts, or to take out screws poking through bits of wood because they were too big for the job, or to tidy up areas that should have been tidied up, or to buy and fit more door latches because the ones that he fitted now don't work.

I certainly didn't expect to see Joe again after he'd left. I asked him back to see for himself how absurd his shelves looked! The design, which we chose, didn't provide for a spine for the shelves and consequently the shelves sagged drastically when we put the books on them. He said he followed the spec; I said the spec had a few more straight lines. That's basic physics said Joe in response to my concern. Well,I didn't expect a discussion about basic physics AFTER the event. It's just a problem, said Joe, things happen; I'll put it right. And we both agreed that nobody had died. I suppose that's right to some degree - there's always something more important than shelves - but perhaps that's not the best yardstick to measure one's skill against (unless you're a surgeon? Soldier?!). Joe kindly offered to sort the problem out (as he said, we learn from dealing with problems - physics, philosophy....you name it...) but by that time I'd lost trust, so I've got someone else to sort it.

In conclusion, does the job - no wow factor and can be sloppy and careless; on a bad day it's incompetent. But he holds a tune.

• 1 year later...
I would not recommend Joe Hickey as he took my money (?160) as a deposit for materials and was never seen again. Took a couple of my calls in the early stages but nothing for a few month now has obviously pocketed his ill-gotten gains and moved on to someone else. Really disappointing as he seemed to be a nice enough guy on the face of things.

• 1 year later...
We had a bad experience with another carpenter called Jon Dalton. We had to contact Trading Standards - a truly vicious experience. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm only sharing a personal experience. Always good to thoroughly check reviews of carpenters though.