Barry Road parade

Does anybody know what's happening or happened to the shops opposite The Clockhouse at the Peckham Rye end of Barry Road. The pizza place, Chinese and Indian takeaways are all closed and have been for a while - the cooker of Yee Wah was in the front of the shop and it was FILTHY! The Estate Agents and Barbers are still open, but just wondering if any plans have been made - it could be a lovely parade, but it looks so grim at the moment.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I spoke to the guy from the barbers. There was a plan for a Sainsbury Local some time ago, but no news recently. Apparently the chinese, indian and pizza takeaways all closed for different reasons, were boarded up to prevent squatting, and now can't or won't be re-let because the landlord will only offer a very short lease, in case an opportunity comes up to re-develop. The leases of businesses still in occupation can only be terminated if there is a firm plan to re-develop, but there's nothing firm at the moment. Frustrating for all (not least the barbers) because the parade looks rubbish and there's no immediate prospect of anything changing

I doubt Sainsburys would open such a big store at that end of Barry Road with the other Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill so nearby.

With so many retailers around Upland Road becoming shops (PlanNation, Police Station Unit, Drycleaners, Hairdressers etc.) I expect that this parade will too become flats. Possibly some of the pavement will become forecourt.

That would make most commercial sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Callie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We really miss both Ghandi & Yee Wah takeaways,

> they were the best for miles around. It would be

> great if they opened up some food shops or a local

> supermarket, would be very handy.

I agree about the takeaways, but heavens above a local supermarket? What's wrong with Barry's just a few yards further up the road ? 😄

Hopefully this post will put an end to rude ignorant people barging into my shop demanding that i tell them what is going on with the units on Barry Parade, while I'm working.

All the shops on Barry Parade are owned by one Landlord. Yes.. He was approached by Sainsburys and they were going to redevelope but that fell through. He is now going to redevelope the Parade himself but not for a year or two. He has to get plans drawn up and planning etc. etc.

Nobody was asked to leave...Everyone left on their own accord for different reasons.

The shops are not been relet as they are in a bad state of repair.

Workmen are taking down the parapet walls at the moment because the Landlord was worried they would fall because they are leaning forward.They are then putting up a nice hoarding to make the Parade look decent till he decides what to do.

So at the moment 3 successful bussiness remain trading on Barry Parade.... The Neighbour Hood Vets.. Roy Brooks estate agents and Barry Road Barbers

Thanking you Sean... Barry Road Barbers

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Since the pub has now gone / been destroyed ,

> never venture down that way any more."

>

> The Clockhouse has gone?

It's still there but if you were placed inside you would not recognise were you were..

DulwichFox