The French House restaurant, Lordship Lane, East Dulwich

raleigh1

I write to you with respect to The French House on Lordship Lane, in East Dulwich. I would like to put on record my experience of the establishment today, Saturday 6th September 2014. I wanted to put my review on your website.

My brother and his family are local residents and we visited today and went to The French House restaurant for lunch today (4 adults and 4 children) and during lunch a woman came and sat next to my wife and proceeded to steal my wife's purse from her handbag. Thankfully my wife noticed and grabbed the purse back from the woman. I immediately leaped up and called to the man behind the counter (I assume the manager) to "call the police as this woman had just attempted to steal my wife's handbag". The man stood there and did nothing and as I stood up to confront the woman I once again called to the man to call the police and all he said was "are you sure you want to call the police?" At NO POINT WHATSOEVER, did this man try to assist his paying customers or to do something about the thief, he just stood there keeping out of everything.

I then made sure the woman immediately left the premises and I said to the man, that I couldn't believe that he did nothing to help and that he asked if I was sure about calling the police. His DISGRACEFUL response was that he couldn't simply call the police on the basis of one person's allegation of attempted theft. In fact, to make things worse, the man behind the counter turned his back on us when we left the restaurant - absolutely disgusting behaviour.

I cannot describe or explain adequately how disgusted I am at such behaviour and such a response. I will be adding my story to every single restaurant review website that I can find, as well as forwarding this story to every single local newspaper. I will also ensure that I proactively inform every single person that I know in the local area so that they do not make the mistake of frequenting this establishment.

I have a certain amount of sympathy with both the OP and the French House. Catching someone in the act of stealing can be really shocking, if that's not something that you've experienced before, and you don't always act in the way you expect - I disturbed a couple of burglars in the act of breaking into my neighbours house last year and had the most bizarre, polite conversation with them as they disentangled themselves from the back door/garden.

Once in the safety of my home, I thought of a million things I could have done differently, but at the time I just reacted. (And the police couldn't have been less interested since I'd stopped them before any damage was done, didn't come round to follow up until the next day).

So I would guess surprise and shock caused the reaction you saw from the French House, not disinterest. It's a horrible thing to have happen and good for your wife at reacting in a way that stopped it - not everyone would have done that.

Seems like a bogus post! I've been to the french house for food 5 times now and have never had bad service and have never seen a male member of staff serving in the restaurant apart from the chef in the background... It does seem a little strange that you are more annoyed at the staff member than the thief?!

Whatever the facts, this:

"I cannot describe or explain adequately how disgusted I am at such behaviour and such a response. I will be adding my story to every single restaurant review website that I can find, as well as forwarding this story to every single local newspaper. I will also ensure that I proactively inform every single person that I know in the local area so that they do not make the mistake of frequenting this establishment"

makes the OP come across as a bit of an idiot, to say the least. Thankfully, I suspect readers of restaurant reviews, local newspapers and (most of all) everybody the OP knows in the local area will come to the same conclusion.

I do find it interesting that the OP hasn't ever logged in again to the forum, so presumably hasn't read all the responses.

As far as I can tell he hasn't made good on his promise to post up other similarly negative reviews either. All a bit odd, but I guess may reflect (as I said above) we don't always react in the same way with a bit of time and distance from an upsetting event.

How the hell can you call that a 'restaurant review'? If it's true you are talking about one persons action or inaction in this case.It could have been a temp there for the day. Maybe they didn't know where the phone was or how to ring the police. You had 3 other adults with you and it's his fault and that makes the place crap. Childish post.

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe they

> didn't know where the phone was or how to ring the

> police.

No comment on the rest of the tread but surely to God there are toddlers that have been taught how to call the police, I'd like to think that even the thickest of temporary employees would know how to make an emergency call. Foreign wouldn't cut it as an excuse either, call 911 or 112 and you'll be redirected to 999.

I think OP is a sham post. Of course I can't be sure of that but it's the only time they've ever posted on here. Can't really see what the staff could have done. OK... call the cops but who's holding the thief down until they arrive? What happened to the thief? Probably legged it.

NB: I've only been in the French House once and I loved it and I'm looking forward to going back.