Bifold advice.......please!!!

Whatsupchuck

Hi We need to order our bifold doors ASAP but it all seems a bit of a minefield. We have been over to bifold express in Redhill and were really impressed but we have had cheaper quotes. Online they have mixed reviews, does anyone have any direct experience of using them, their after sales services etc?

Another contender is the folding door shop, no showroom for this one so am a little scared at handing over ?1000's for a product we haven't seen. We know we are getting schuco doors but we have heard scare stories that some firms (not directly the folding door shop)may not use all schuco parts so they can get the cost down.

Help!!! any info that might make our choice a bit easier would really help. Companies to avoid as well as recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks xx

We recently got some bifolds installed as part of an on-going whole-house refurb. I'd agree it does seem like a minefield when trying to decide who to choose. We got 4 quotes and ended-up going with with bifoldingdoorfactory.co.uk. I can't rememeber specifically why or where I'd heard of them but they are installers for Shucco doors (a German make) which I'd read somewhere are good quality. They have a little showroom near Croydon where you can see the doors and choose frame colours etc.

They were the cheapest quote of the 4 companies we contacted, although most companies claim to offer price matching. The guy (Ned) at the showroom seemed very knowledgable and was helpful. He explained that we could go from 4 panels to 3 which a) saved almost ?1k and b) means less frame.

Doors are now installed and are fantastic. Our builder was slightly anxious because when the company did their survey they didn't use a laser level, but when it came to installing they did the job well. I have no idea whether they are better or worse than any of the others, but ultimately they were reasonably priced for a good quality product.

They only negative I can think of is that they are not a member of FENSA and were not able to provide a building control certificate. This apparently can be a problem if we decide to sell the house in the future. It's not a problem for us as we'll get that certificate as part of approval for the whole refurb project, but if you are just getting doors installed it might be a show-stopper. I'd suggest insisting on this when making your choice, although maybe it's not that important.

Hope that helps.

We also used the bi folding door factory. I think we found them via a random google search, after a couple of much more expensive quotes from local installers. Would echo the comments above. Go for Schuco rather than Smarts. I think there's also a Schuco showroom in Islington if more convenient.

• 2 years later...
Still no windows or doors despite paying them three months ago. Anyone reading this be wary of dealing with them. This company has given my appalling service, still no date for installation 3 months after paying them. Being fobbed off. Happy to talk to anyone about this.

• 4 weeks later...

WHAT A NIGHTMARE OF A COMPANY! We had our new wave doors installed after 3 months of delay to only get a faulty product that isn't even suitable for the English weather! The doors fell apart on the day of installation and we had to wait an extra 2 weeks for a replacement part then another frame fell apart and we had to wait an extra 2 weeks for the installation to be complete. When I say complete they didn't even seal the frame to the block work they just squired expanding foam into the sides and there was no trim to finish it off on the sides or the big gap at the top of the frame.

The customer service we received from new wave was appalling and the product is just as bad. They took all the money upfront no questions asked and when I spoke to the director Claire Warren she was not willing to help in the slightest and put the phone down on me on 2 separate occasions! My building inspector said we should have been advised to have trickle vents in the door, which they didn't tell us and that the frame is not thermally broken so it's not weather rated for the English weather. The frame is ice old to the touch on the INSIDE!!! The first cold morning we experienced condensation and we thought it could be damp from the newly laid concrete floor but 6 weeks later using a dehumidifier there is no change!

• 2 months later...

Picking up this thread as just getting quotes together

Any more reviews on Bi Folding Door Company - West Drayton

ID Systems

Kloeber

All similar in price but lead time vary from 7 weeks to 10 weeks after measurement, don't want to go with the quickest if reviews bad

Thanks a lot

• 1 month later...

Ean - re your message 'Still no windows or doors despite paying them three months ago. Anyone reading this be wary of dealing with them. This company has given my appalling service, still no date for installation 3 months after paying them. Being fobbed off. Happy to talk to anyone about this.'

I'm having the same problem. Please could you let me know how/if this got resolved?

Ean - I'd be interested to know if your installation was ever completed. The first date I was given for installation was 15 June. I have now been told that installation will take place this week, after the second delay, but I remain deeply sceptical until my bifolds are in place.

Ean Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Still no windows or doors despite paying them

> three months ago. Anyone reading this be wary of

> dealing with them. This company has given my

> appalling service, still no date for installation

> 3 months after paying them. Being fobbed off.

> Happy to talk to anyone about this.

Looking to install bi fold doors but want to increase the size and understand I need to get plans drawn up and planning permission and that is even before getting the doors chosen and installed! Does anyone have a name of an architect, engineer or draftsman who can drawn up the designs for planning permission? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Judith, Maciek, Ean,

We are suffering the same problem. Have any of you made any progress with having your doors installed?

Or even getting through to your representative?!

Our entire project is now on hold whilst we wait for the door installation - our main contractor has had to leave site as he has run out of things he can do before the building is weather proof. Disaster.

Anything you could tell me would be really helpful! Thanks in advance.

Lucy

Hi Lucy - Our doors have not yet been installed and our main contractor has left the site too. However, he has boarded out the opening for us. I hope to have the doors installed soon. How long since you confirmed the door sizes?

Hi,

They took their first measurements back in April, but had to come back twice to get them correct (not a great start!).

We have been given install dates 3 times now and organised for our builder to be on site when they require it and they just haven't shown up.

I have managed to get though to someone this morning so hopefully the doors will be in next week. I'll let you know.

Have they given you a clear date? they keep on telling us 'the end part of next week' irritatingly vague.

H Lucy

We are in same situation as you - were promised fit this week just gone but now next Friday apparently

We have 2 mobile phone numbers and are calling them daily to make sure they are on top of things as only way )that's if they are not lying)

Please do PM me if you want numbers. Our builder will finish next week as nothing else he can do - we also have the kitchen coming the week after so if doors not fitted the whole project is in a mess!!