Franca Manca

Ladysaw

Spoke to someone last night who had just been to Franco Manca.

They thoroughly enjoyed the food and atmosphere..

Speaking to them and others, the main downside is, because of the queues it is very much a

Queue - Sit down - Eat - Pay and clear off to make room for others.

Bit of a shame really. Its fast food. Apart from the queuing.

DulwichFox

I like Franco Manca, it's really decent pizza.

However, please can we make sure we don't forget the wonderful Il Mirto on Melbourne Grove? I've eaten a hell of a lot of FM and it just doesn't beat this family-run Sardinian gem. It's so unpretentious and the food is nothing short of exquisite. Still very reasonably priced too, AND BYO on a Wednesday.

Go to Franco Manca, but don't forget Il Mirto ? it's way more legit. Plus you won't have to queue!

Went there yesterday with (maybe too) high hopes and unfortunately wasn't overly impressed.

Long queue aside (I put that down to the "hype" of a new restaurant in ED), it is far too cramped in there, I am a slim guy and found it impossible to move around all of the tables - okay they are a small restaurant and need to cover their costs but could do with taking out 5 tables and improving the dining experience so you aren't sitting on the next tables lap.

The pizza itself was OK but not AMAZING, found that the topping hastily spread with some parts having all of the good stuff and another part nothing, the crust/base itself had potential but I think in their rush to get people in and out mine was slightly undercooked.

Don't get me wrong, the price is great for a pizza and I am sure the service and consistency will get better as they calm down - for now though I won't go back until its a bit quieter.

A restaurant experience and pizza do not fit together well. A traditional Italian peasant fast food would/should be a menu option in a restaurant not the be all and end all. That's why a firm like Pizza Hut and Pizza Express are quick in/out jobs and forgive me if I'm wrong but this new place firmly fits into that category?

Louisa.

Was not long ago people here were singing the praises of Sorsi & Morsi when they were packed out.

They are now virtually empty every night.

I have brought this very point up about other venues opening up and about loyalties.

With people saying 'We will defo be going back'

People don't and businesses keep opening and closing down.

Remember before Sorsi And Morsi was Indian Mischief previously.

...and now a new Sushi Bar opening soon...

And while Businesses open and close our good all time favourite Curry, still maintain 8 restaurants.

DulwichFox

I think you misunderstood when I meant "experience" it was in the loosest possible sense, I'm not daft enough to expect a relaxed atmosphere where I can chat and be there for hours but I would like a place where I can eat without having to get up all the time to let people through or get nudged in the back as people squeeze through, quick in and out I have no problem with and I went on to toasted for the relaxed drink after, but I would have liked an uninterrupted meal beforehand

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And while Businesses open and close our good all

> time favourite Curry, still maintain 8

> restaurants.

>

> DulwichFox

And you do know they operate on a totally different economy of scale...often by extended families and on the fringes of immigration law which enables cheap labour. Not all but many. Then they often serve reheated stuff....high incidence of money laundering...often cash based....

MrBen Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > And while Businesses open and close our good

> all

> > time favourite Curry, still maintain 8

> > restaurants.

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

> And you do know they operate on a totally

> different economy of scale...often by extended

> families and on the fringes of immigration law

> which enables cheap labour. Not all but many.

> Then they often serve reheated stuff....high

> incidence of money laundering...often cash

> based....

I find your accusative comments both offensive and racist...

DulwichFox

Sue Wrote:

> simonstephens Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > Go to Franco Manca, but don't forget Il Mirto ?

> > it's way more legit.

>

>

>

> What do you mean by legit? Not having a go, just a

> bit bemused!

Hehe, just that it's not a chain really ? I really like that Il Mirto is completely independent and there's only one :)

i agree with simon....pizzas are great and organic bases but a lot less substantial topping sine the merger with pizza express. Its the one chain i will visit as can tolerate the base more than others,,,but i prefer to shop in independent shops so local london streets dont resemble any other drab town\pseudo city. full of chains who may not be paying taxes or a living wage. Not accusing FM of this, just highlighting the importance of independent shop,,,, be interesting to see how lengthy pram lunches will go fair there....

> I find your accusative comments both offensive and

> racist...

>

> DulwichFox

Fox. Nothing of the sort. Try leaving race out of it and just appreciate that many restaurants at the lower/commoditised end of the market (Scottish fish and chip shops, Chinese takeaways, Indian curry houses... whatevs) work to a very different operating expense base?

With UK Indian restaurants specifically there has been a high incidence of illegal immigrants employed for close to slave wages as waiters, chefs etc. Which is why the last wave of Border Agency raids targeted these businesses specifically. And that's before you take into account the culturally higher incidence of family employees (who may not be paid top whack but share living costs).

Do they often serve reheated food? Of course they do. That's why your eat-all-you-want sunday buffet is ?6.95. It's mostly the left overs from Friday / Saturday. Nothing wrong with that, you get what you pay for.

They stay open... but it's not because they're packed out every night.

Back to Franco Manca....

We went last night. A few people waiting, I guess it was 15 minutes to get a table, which was fine, tho' I'm not sure how often I will go if you always have to queue on a Wednesday evening.

Pizzas were great, very fresh and the quality of the ingredients is very good, service friendly and efficient, and good value - pretty much what I expected based on past experience. It is pretty crammed, and it's not a place to linger, but again that's what I expected - it's unashamedly a simple pizza joint.

And ice cream at Oddono afterwards - perfect.