loft conversion experiences and recommendations

tstoilov

We want to get a loft conversion and we are looking for a good trust-worthy company. Can people who have a loft conversion share which companies they used, if they recommend the company and if they have any good tips. So far we have met classic lofts, loftlife, and econoloft - the price is similar and all had great sale pitches, but I really want to hear people's experiences and recommendations. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
Classic Lofts were horrific when we had ours done a few years back. Timetable of work fell to bits at the end when they hadn't done work to council standards, and they weren't interested in making good on it all in any kind of acceptable way. We kicked them offsite and had to pay others to finish it properly.

I can second the recommendation for loft life.

A big job like a loft conversion can throw up unexpected problems in old houses, so I'd never expect plain sailing from start to finish. But they gave good advice, the guys were hard working, and they resolved any issues which came up. And thankfully, no hidden extra costs.

• 3 weeks later...
I would beware of tinahomemaker's recommendation - the author has registered today and made this recommendation on three threads. Tinahomemaker is probably a fake. I would avoid Central London Lofts based on this.

• 3 weeks later...
Econoloft did our loft last year - very nice people to deal with but bottom line is that it leaked. Less than six months after it was done we had to have it all redecorated again. Econoloft paid because it was under guarantee but it doesn't fill you with confidence and was loads of hassle.

• 1 month later...

We've also had a great experience with loft life- we have 2 new bedrooms and a shower room and it all looks great - the team we had (Steve, Ryan and Neil) were wonderful and a pleasure to have around the house - and their attention to detail was fantastic. They had a lot of pride in their work, and made sure we got just what we wanted with big / small details, communicating all the way. They made a potentially stressful situation (I was heavily pregnant, and then with a newborn during the course of the build) stress free, and quite enjoyable in fact! Spencer the owner I think has about 15 teams that work for him, but again he was very knowledgeable and helped move things through as quickly as possible.

Highly recommend, it looks excellent.

We used New Zealand lofts and were very happy with work they did, more than happy for you to view

I have posted a few times on here about them and good work they did for us.

Have friends in ED that are going ahead with them and they mentioned the costs had started to go up so please get a few guys round.

I liked the way NZ lofts would actually listen to what we wanted rather than build standard conversion..

• 5 months later...

We had a loft conversion completed recently in our half-house by Classic Lofts. Before we started the project, we were unsure if it was even possible to have a loft conversion in a half-house, but now we have a bright and spacious third bedroom.

We were very impressed the efficiency and friendliness of the teams that worked on it. They were very tidy (hardly any dust!)and it was completed on time.

We have recommended them to friends who are now going ahead with them, and would highly recommend them to anybody else out there considering a loft conversion.

Do you mean a small dormer, Annasfield? We also have an existing conversion with rather limited standing space in the ensuite toilet. I'd also be interested in finding out if anyone has managed to add a dormer and roughly how much it cost. I suspect the additional weight would have implications for the size of RSJs etc.

• 2 years later...

Hi Tina,

My daughter is about to start a 1270 sq.ft. loft conversion at her place and thinking of employing Central London Loft....it is a big project and we are a little concerned. Your opinion will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Paul