How much to replace washing machine bearings?

We have an 8/9 year old machine that's just starting to lose its mojo - bearings are on the way out.

No idea how much parts and labour would be to replace them.

Guessing a new machine might be more cost effective in the long run?

Can any plumbers give me an idea how much to replace them?

And also if we went with a new machine, how much to plumb new/remove old machine pls? (it's freestanding not integrated.)

thanks

The bearings themselves don't cost much (about a tenner) but it is the most time consuming repair because the whole drum has to be dismantled to get at them. Fine also if the old ones pop out easily, not if they are jammed. Can take around two hours to replace bearings. So gives you some idea of what you are likely to be charged. I did my own after watching a video on youtube from a company called espares. Got the bearings from them too.

Disconnecting old machine from plumbing and connecting new machine is really easy. It's just a case of unscrewing hoses from the pipes. Easy enough to do that yourself.

If your machine is 8/9 years old and the bearings have gone,

its possible the Drum Spider has gone (clanking noise).

Also the Shock Absorber(s) and Motor Mounts will probably need replacing

whilst you have the machine apart.

You also have to think about Hoses, Pumps and the like.

Your machine is likely to be clogged with Limescale and may not be giving you the best results.

How long a Washing Machine lasts is dependant on Price, Age and how often it is used.

My Ariston lasted 20 years 80s-90s (Their slogan was 'Ariston goes on and on and on and on'

I only used it once a week.

They don't make them like that any more :)

In reality a new machine will save you money in the long run.

DulwichFox

I don't agree Fox regarding spider etc. The spider is usually pretty strong and if the bearings have just started to clank then they are probably all that need replacing. And limescale can easily be treated with descaler tablets. If shock mounts are damaged then that can be easily seen but on the times I've changed bearings nothing else was damaged.

I guess it depends on the quality of the machine you have. If it's a cheap machine, probably better to get a new one. If it's an expensive machine, then worth repairing.

Kerry if you do get a new machine, I'll happily come and disconnent the old and connect the new one for you. It really does take no time to do that and it's the sort of thing a neighbour can help with, and no need to pay someone to do it.

If you but a new machine from say Curry/PC world. They will charge to fit it but will also take away and

safely dispose of the old one.

Unless Blah Blah extends his very kind offer to taking the old one away.

I had an old oven in my back garden for years until I got someone to finally dump it when they did

some building work for me. Was a real pain.

DulwichFox

Not trying to complicate anything mate. Its very kind of you to offer your services for free.

But washing machines are very heavy, especially old ones. There might be unforeseen problems

getting it outside to be collected if you are on your own. Or the Lady lives upstairs.

What ever happens she will probably get charged for delivery, so easier to arrange for company

to take away the old one at the time of purchase and you can connect it for her.

DulwichFox

Thanks all.

And Blah Blah, what a very kind offer :-) Thank you very much.

It's a John Lewis machine and I reckon about 300-400 when I bought it 9 years ago. Nothing special but has never let us down!

I'll get a labour quote from a couple of plumbers and weigh it up against some of the pretty good Jan sales deals out there.

Thank you again!

from what your saying it more likely to be the brushes worn down so machine would have the humph and wont spin as fast as it should .you dont mention noise ..if it was the bearing then you would hear the drum banging about.open door and spin drum backwards and forwards is bearing has had it your hear it rumble.to plumb a machine in ie replace the machine that is there would cosy only ?45/?50 no more.infact it is something you can do yourself

This is pps who didn't know that modern machines stop mid cycle if they can't drain because of a blocked filter. Read what Steve wrote again, brushes WORN (not wearing) down, ie no contact, means no drum spinning. And the op seems fairly sure the bearings are going. She gives no description of noise or otherwise to make anyone have any idea if it's something else. Yet everyone seems to think the whole machine is falling apart!!!!

blah blah if you read my post you will see i said worn not worn out so with worn brushes you would have a machine that has (like the op said lost its mojo ) as has been said the with WORN OUT brushes the motor would not work so no drive for the drum .by the way if the filter was blocked the machine would not work from the start ...what does a machine do when you start a wash ? yesssss it drains first , the ops machine is in need of new brushes nothing else .by their post it sounds to me like the machine is just not how it used to be nothing about stopping mid program ,i agree if people are posting for help then the more info as to what the machine is doing would help ,but as i said to me it sounds like brushes or if machine has an induction motor it would need a new motor .steve wrote the worn out brushes and that is not what was said .anyway it aint my machine just trying to help people not get ripped off .in future i think it would be best to read the whole post before replying

A Washing Machine is like a car..

Once bits start to 'fall off' so do other bits.

The OP did says she has Frequent use of her machine 'At east once a day'

8-9 years old. So 3,000+ washes pos. 4,000-5,000+

So instead off calling out someone now and again in 3 months to fix something else

just invest in a new machine and save some money.

DulwichFox

PPS you are so wrong about filters. When a filter becomes clogged the machine stops draining and stops mid cycle. It happens regularly on modern machines and if you don't know that then I don't rate your abilities on washing machine repair.

And how you can deduce anything from the op about any problem other than the one she mentions, is a mystery. Are you psychic or something? She has only mentioned bearings. Nothing about spin speed, noise , draining etc etc. You have no way of knowing anything.

I tend to agree with you Fox. In my experience, once the bearings have gone (if it is the bearings) they don't tend to last as long when replaced. And 9 years heavy use from a machine is pretty good going.