Radiator making humming noise

actuarygi

If there is a thermostatic valve fitted it is almost certainly the problem. Depending on the brand of the thermostatic valve most of the heads unscrew (chrome ring just below the plastic part of the head). Take head off and see if the sound stops, if the pin is stuck in the original position the noise will continue. You can sometimes free the pin up just by hitting the brass angled part of the valve with a pair of grips. I wouldn't recommend you pulling the pin out yourself manually as some pull right out and you'll get wet!

Hope that sorts the situation!

Billy

Thanks guys. The noise is actually coming from the central heating unit boiler (the one unit that is inside the house), not the individual radiators in the rooms. I have posted some picture of the pressure perhaps that helps to explain. Thanks !!!

Your system is showing 0 bar. Dial

Most systems operate at 1 - 1.5 bar.

Normally you can top this up by opening a tap.

As you have a separate pressure vessel and loosing pressure

you may well have a water leak in your system.

I'm not a heating engineer but have had some dealings with such things.

I strongly advise you to appoint a qualified engineer to take a look.

I'm sure someone here on EDF will pick this up.

DulwichFox

Hi

Topping up pressure will help elimate any heat transfer problems through main heat exchanger

If problem still persists other faults are

Possible vibration through boiler heat exchanger

No system by pass or not set

Internal circulation pump

If noisy in operation at low flame , poor combustion setting

Main heat exchanger , is vibrating on housing inside appliance

Fan noise

( check co2 readings and non return diaphragm

Hope this helps

Used to work for Worcester bosch , so had many a noisy boiler

Ps

Possible case as well

Needs to be checked out if pressure does not help

All the best

John powers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• That's a good idea smiley blue , if you or anyone else comes across petitions to end these despicable acts of cruelty to defenceless animals please put on here or start a new thread if you please so we can sign the petition and add our objections to this , I would also like to thank all of you the people for reading these messages and adding your voices to this cruelty,  maybe we can end it 
    • Malumbu, by that measure are police efforts to cut down on anti-social driving by issuing tickets and fines a token effort as well? Surely punitive measures for cyclists breaking the rules will encourage them not to break the rules again? A bit like when you got stopped and taken into the cab of an HGV. The police are currently using that tactic to show those who break the rules cycling that it might lead them to being hit by a lorry due to the driver's having limited vision - the cycling equivalent of a speed awareness course for drivers.    When they stopped you was it because you had broken a rule or was it just more of an education programme and they asked you to take a look and did it change your cycling behaviour in any way? As I said previously there are those who break the rules on cycling out of ignorance (and those out of arrogance) and I am sure they are using HGVs to educate those in the ignorance category and then hitting those in the arrogance category with the PCNs.    
    • Good that PETA is on it but can we add our voices to the fight against this horrible practice? I’m still shocked! A petition maybe? Happy to raise to the RSPCA but don’t want to duplicate efforts. I’ve signed campaigns from RSPCA before which sends it directly to your councillor
    • Yes, I'm aware of that. I believe the brood was five to begin with. However they are almost adult size now so not the prey of rats any longer. 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In