Soundproofing to stop noise in downstairs flat

poppyfisher

I'm now a landlord and have complaints from tenants of noise from downstairs. The Victorian conversion was not insulated very well.

Can anyone offer any advice, my old tenants move out on 7th March and new ones in week later

Any builders out there who can help and come and quote for insulating bedroom floor?

Any help would be gratefully received

There's no cheap / quick way to improve this (ignore any company who claims there is!) so it depends on how serious you are about getting it done.

On the upside, you have the upstairs flat which could give you access to / use of the floor joist space which could be a help. But the first thing to do is to investigate and see what's there already: what's between the joists; how your own floor is laid. If it's a really bad conversion maybe there's just a bit of rockwool between the joists and their ceiling underneath, a bit of chipboard on top of your subfloor, then your carpet etc. From here, you need to find out if the owner of the flat below would be agreeable to you upgrading or - better still - willing to chip-in for the benefit of all.

Working this out will dictate what products you are going to be able to use. There are numerous available; some make use of the joist space, some add onto your own sub-floor (but of course this will mean a loss of ceiling height for your flat), or a combination of both.

There are soundproofing companies who advise, supply and fit - or you could investigate products yourself (I'd recommend 'Trim Acoustics' who stock a wide range) and then approach someone to fit.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice though. The best result will be from buying quality products and paying someone to fit it properly.

That's chipboard with some foam underneath. The foam is there to deal with impact noise 'on' the floor (ie to make things better for the floor below) and the chipboard is, well, chipboard.

It will help both sides.. A bit.

If you're just looking at overlaying something on top of whatever floor you've got already, there are better products than this.

As I say, depends on how serious you are. Most people get less serious when the cost and time of doing it to a higher level of performance become clear!

• 2 weeks later...