Front Door - Crown Joinery

dimjim79

Hi if you are looking for a new front door then look up Alex at Crown Joinery on Tyrell Road. Alex and team designed, built and fitted our new door and we are absolutely delighted with the results. It is far better than we could have expected and already puts our neighbours to shame! the cost was more than competitive (especially when compared to big door companies) but what stood out was the personal service and Craftsmanship that went into it. Details are: Alex, 07972 022354, [email protected]

Thanks. James

• 2 weeks later...

I've unfortunately had a bad experience with Alex at Crown Joinery. I was told the quality of his work was very good and we went ahead and asked him to quote for several items in our house including a new set of balcony doors in the existing frame.

Once we agreed to go ahead with these Alex measured up and then several weeks later he unilaterally announced what day he would install them. It took him quite a while to try to fit the doors as the doors were new but the frame old, and so required adjusting several times. Once finished, there was a large gap between the two doors at the bottom, and Alex said it was best to wait a week or two as often the doors would settle and the gap could close of its own accord. If not, he would arrange a day to come back and adjust them. I paid him that night as I trusted him. Whilst at my house Alex spent a long time talking to me about his craftmanship, his pride in his work, and complaining about many of his 'bad' customers. He seemed like a total primadonna but I thought his 'perfectionism' would bring him back.

I really believed that Alex was a perfectionist and that he would come back to adjust the doors once they have settled so that the gap was fixed. That was 10 months ago and I have been strung out for a long time. We have exchanged maybe 50 emails. Since that day, Alex has also bizarrely visited us 3 times to talk (a lot!) about how he could fix the doors, the conclusion being the same each time that he would have to take the door off, shave the wood back here and there and rehang. However, he never had time to do it as he needed his assistant.

He visited us 3 weeks ago and told us that he would be coming this weekend. When he visited last he told me he no longer fitted new doors in existing frames as it was too difficult. He assured me it wasn't my fault! Thanks.

Today he emailed to say he couldn't come today after all and when I complained he emailed to say that he was under no obligation to fix the doors as I had contravened his 'policy' of not fitting new doors in old frames. He had only done the original job as a gesture of good will (not the ?2000 I paid him) and he would come when he could.

So, that is it. I do not expect Alex to ever fix the doors. I am an idiot for waiting for 10 months, but we had our first baby 6 months ago and I constantly thought my emails to him about the freezing draught all through winter would motivate him. All winter we had to put tape on the doors to keep the draught out. Alex has taken no responsibly whatsoever and is now blaming me for contravening his new made up 'policy', and insisting I went against his strongly worded advice. This is the first time in 10 months that I have heard this.

I would therefore recommend caution if using Crown Joinery and Alex. Things may go well but if they don't, I wouldn't expect Alex to take any responsibility or to fix the problem. It looks like there are others who have had this problem. If anyone can recommend someone who can rehang a door that would be very helpful.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

We've also just had a front door fitted by Crown Joinery and I can echo the above comments. His costs were competitive, his service and personal attention to the quality were to a very high standard. The door we asked for was a bespoke size and also painted to our specifications and were delivered to the exact requirements.

Thanks,

Dipen