Help - re where to get an INR test locally

Hi guys,

My Mum is coming to stay with me for a month. She is on Warfarin and her INR test showed a little high this week (Whilst still at home in Derbyshire).

They have said she needs to get checked again next week. Does anyone know where she might be able to get this done??

I am told some chemists do it for a small fee. I've asked at my doctors as to whether the practice nurses can help but

it doesn't sound too positive.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Amanda

Hello,

From my experience (personally and working in the NHS)- I've not come across being able to have any kind of blood test done in a pharmacy. But maybe there's one with a phlebotomist you know of?

It can be a bit of a pain to sort out blood tests when you're not in area and usually depends on how helpful the healthcare professionals involved are.

When a blood test is done locally it's usually sent to a hospital for processing then results sent back to a particular doctor in a GP practice. Therefore I believe your mum would have to temporarily register with a local GP here who would then order the blood test. This might be easier if her GP in Derbyshire liases with GP in london to get his sorted.

Mark sure you keep stressing the necessity of her getting it done at all stages.

Would be interested if anyone knows another way round this.

Good luck,

Jess X

I agree that registering as a temporary resident might be the best way forward.

It is not just the question of having the blood test - someone will need to follow up the result and decide on her dosage for the next week. She may even need further tests.

Perhaps one of the bigger pharmacies might have access to a point of care INR testing machine. It's similar to a diabetic checking their blood glucose and gives you an instant result. No need to send blood to a lab. Then you could call GP with level who can advise on dose. These are used in some hospitals. Or there will be an anti coagulation clinic at kings that might be more helpful.

That's guys - yes she says normally they just test the blood and have a little machine that gives an instant result, then they log into a website and it advised on how to adjust her warfarin dose accordingly - it's tiny amounts less or more depending on the result. Very run of the mill actually when you've been on it a while - so I understand, though obviously sounds a bit scary to those of us who don't need to do it!!

You have been a massive help as always.

Thank goodness for the forum!

Amanda

Just incase anyone else ever needs to know:

Hospital were very relaxed about this and said they will never turn away a visiting INR patient.

She can have the test and just leave a contact number with them so they can advise on the result

of the test if they can't inform her immediately.

She can go to either Kings Golden Jubilee Wing, or Dulwich Site for her test on

Weekdays - 7.30am to 5.45pm at Kings or 7.30am to 3.45pm at Dulwich.

Phew!!

Amanda