What has happened to the Palmeston!?

martboy

We had family visiting over the weekend and went to the Palmeston for Sunday lunch and it was really poor. Food was cold, service was poor with a miserable waitress. At ?17.50 for a roast a smile would be appreciated. Other places in ED are becoming far better. Will not go back!

martboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We had family visiting over the weekend and went

> to the Palmeston for Sunday lunch and it was

> really poor. Food was cold, service was poor with

> a miserable waitress. At ?17.50 for a roast a

> smile would be appreciated. Other places in ED are

> becoming far better. Will not go back!

I think you were just unlucky. We've never had a bad meal in there.

Went there last night and won't be going back there again. Ordered a rack of lamb for two people and the meat came out red raw. Sent it back to get it cooked more and they just returned the plates cold and did nothing about our request. It wasn't even busy. ?115 bill for that, a small sea trout and a bottle of wine. Never again ...

Was it really red raw, or just pink, as it should be served? Honest question - it really isn't meant to be brown throughout.

We haven't been in for a while but it's been the best place for a Sunday roast in ED for some time.

The problem with the Palmerston is that it is completely inconsistent. I have had brilliant meals there and also ones that were practically inedible - I can well imagine the lamb was raw not pink as, amongst other things, I have had revolting undercooked (supposedly roast)pork belly there (floppy, unrendered fat, glutinous skin - which the chef said was the way it should be). I don't go anymore.

Completely agree with Comments made by mickeymonkey and Toldyouso.

I've been there a few times now and it's been completely inconsistent and usually just OK. The last experience I had this weekend was embarrassingly poor with regards to service and food, so I'm not willing to go back.

It feels they are becoming complacent and they will loose custom as a result.

Weird. I'm a long time fan and have to say every time I've been it's been at least good if not excellent. Last visit was in January when I had one of the best meals ever locally.

Until they serve me a duff one it will remain a go to destination for me.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Weird. I'm a long time fan and have to say every

> time I've been it's been at least good if not

> excellent. Last visit was in January when I had

> one of the best meals ever locally.

>

> Until they serve me a duff one it will remain a go

> to destination for me.

Ditto...Never had a duff sunday dinner there and staff always lovely.

Always had good food and excellent service. New Year's Eve was my last visit for food and they accommodated a loooooooong boozy lunch with aplomb.

Most recently been in for a drink and all seemed well. Had a noses at the grub and looked good..

Hopefully the only thing that has happened is they have lost an r somewhere along the line...

Friend of mine went in, and said he had appalling service and food. The staff including the manager were so rude, that he will not go back in. We went at Xmas, food was ok not great, service was fine, but overall, I dont think I would make it a destination place. Much nice places, in ED and surrounding areas. Shame, because they have had a very good reputation, but becoming complacent can ruin a business.

I can also report a very average Sunday Roast at the Palmerstone recently (6 weeks or so ago). Was very disappointed as previous meals had always been outstanding. Given the price we probably won't return as there are many excellent alternatives locally. Previously I'd thought it was just about worth the extra.

I've not been that many times over the years, largely because I've always wondered what the fuss was about as I chewed through my thoroughly mediocre meals. So I guess those calling it inconsistant are probably right.

Biggest disappointment was this very tall yorkshire pudding. I LOVE yourkshire puds, but this just tasted overdone and had no soft inside.

But I'm going back 5 years.

My partner and I went recently and the food was average and the service really poor. Mentioned this to my colleague who said he has previously had to send meat back. I've never really understood it's reputation for great food but perhaps we've just been unlucky.

We went recently and will give it a miss for a few mths as it does seem to be going through a bad patch. Had a slow roast meat (can't remember what now) but it could have done with a little bit longer. The fat hadn't fully broken down and it was a bit snotty. Couldn't eat it. Nice place, staff are good, I'm sure it will pick up again. I wish it well.