2 to doors need paint stripped off and rehung. Recommendations please! Please read entire post 1st!

Hi, I would like someone to come and take up to four doors off their hinges, take them away to have all and every last bit of paint stripped off them, then also all the doors to be sanded smooth all ready to be painted by us, then brought back and rehung. All in maybe two separate. Is this possible?

My husband has been meaning to get around to doing this for 'a while' and I have decided I shall pay a professional! Please could I have recommendations for this, and if you are suggesting yourself or your company for the job, please show references. I have been let down by one person who shall remain nameless ".... of Dulwich".

Finally, we are three floors up with no lift and we are on the SE15 side of Peckham Rye Park, overlooking the park.

The hardest and most time consuming will be getting all the old paint off, some of it might even be lead based. Best to get them 'dip stripped' off site, it will take longer than a day to do this though. PJ Pine (020 8761 3961) will do this, then upon return they just need a fine, light sanding ready for painting. If they are period timber doors, beeswaxing them usually comes up nice. A good tip is to mark the doors beforehand on the top or bottom side, so that each door goes back in it's original opening...

Also keep the hinges and screws bagged up separately for each door...

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also keep the hinges and screws bagged up

> separately for each door...

I would keep the hinges attached to the door frame, and use brand new screws to re-hang the doors..

That sounds potentially quite costly if your just going to re paint them...

If you are waxing them as mentioned by someone else then yes. Get them Dipped. No professional company will remove dip strip and return in a day. That's not realistic. Not all dipping companies are the same... I've seen doors totally buggered by some companies.. One of my clients had a very nice job done on his.. 650 for 6 doors. Excellent job. I can ask them. Any decent painter like me. Brian from advanced painters. Brad from all-round renovation or jp moon will do a good job without stripping... Best of luck. Matthew

Sean Of Dulwich Wrote:

> god your acting like a physco get off my case

Crikey.

Many people on here are probably now making a mental note not to use your services :))

Sean Of Dulwich Wrote:

> THE REASON I DIDNT DO YOU JOB IS BECAUSE YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS AND GOOD LUCK WITH FINDING SOMEONE

> THATS GONNA DO IT FOR YOU - IVE DONE PLENTY OF WORK ON HERE FOR PEOPLE SO DONT EVEN THINK OF

> PUTTING MY NAME DOWN

Just thought I'd quote this before realisation sets in and it gets replaced by a '.'

This is IMO the danger of bringing up a tradesman/business name negatively on a forum / media such as this.

It may be a small thing that happened, yet the risk to the business is massive.

businesses/tradespeople shouldn't have to live in fear of losing trade because of an instance of miscommunication or even a basic character clash, which can easily happen.

I'm sure if I'd been hauled-up every time I've been late to work and not advised the correct people, I may have lost work. Things happen. If anything I give tradespeople an allowance because my expectations are so low. If we were in Germany then, possibly, fair enough.

A few months ago I was after tilers for my kitchen, two guys were lined-up to start on the Saturday and no-one turned-up, no call nothing. But that was OK, I'd simultaneously arranged a Plan B and agreed for a separate guy to start on the Sunday, so I just didn't need to cancel him and he'd be there next day. He didn't show or call either. The first person has even asked me to go and get various materials so he could start early on the Saturday.

But I wouldn't have dreamed of trashing the small business/tradesperson on EDF or any other media, I didn't lose any money, I was greatly inconvenienced. But so what.

There are people who you are going to get on with and then again not. Where there needs to be a good working relationship, it is great to work with someone reasonable who will enjoy the success of a project but also willing to go through the woes of a project with a positive outlook. Im sure in hindsight anyone would concede that they should have phoned ahead to explain their delay. However, To be ruled out after 1 hour is a bit excessive. There may have been a bit more to it?...

In terms of initial thoughts on whats involved in stripping doors to the degree of the requested "every last bit of paint". To do this by hand with paint strippers, sanders and scrapers ect.. I think is at the very least a day for 2 doors and even at that it is very dependent on the existing door condition. In my humble opinion anyone who confirms timeframes for a job like this is taking a chance. With the brief stating every last bit of paint off, This is a job that could only be done on time taken and materials needed.

Dipping was mentioned and they could all be dipped which is quick and cheaper, but I agree with MattH. Dipping doors involves them going into a liquid chemical and is very risky. They are likely to crack and warp. Warping means the doors will not be re installed without the door, door stop, hinges and lock receivers being adjusted, not to mention the aesthetics being ruined. The glue can also be affected if water based so the doors can eventually come apart.

In short, more than likely not 2 doors a day to meet the exacting standard of a client requiring every bit of paint removed and also not accepting anything but being very delighted means that each door will need special attention to get it right.

Perhaps a job for the husband... ;)

Just buy new doors. I had some made using an online outfit - just chose the design and measurements and they had the standard 4 panel moulded victorian doors most houses round here.

My missus insisted on keeping some of the original doors (1910) which were warped from age and didn't meet fire regs. There is no benefit I can see to doing this other than sentimentality. Nobody will notice new doors, they'll quite likely look better and are easier to paint?

Re dipping doors - a few years ago I took half a dozen fitted wardrobe doors off for a guy to come and collect them to dip and remove all the paint. He declined to take them on arrival as they were hollow (iirc) and that causes problems with gases, I can't remember more details sorry but something to be aware of. I ended up doing it all myself with Nitromors and scrapers and it was a nightmare leading me to Mr Ben's comment... Just buy new doors!

(btw I've been let down before but like to think the best of people and default to it being a one off, the guy in question gets recommended for stuff on here and everyone makes a mistake)