William Rose

Grizelda

Today at about 5.30pm I walked into William Rose, a butchers on Lordship Lane. There were two customers, already being served, who soon left. For over five minutes I watched the nine members of staff behind the counter ignoring me. All nine did seem busy - certainly there was much chatter - but at no point was my presence acknowledged, nor a be-with-you-in-a-minute nod offered, let alone an apology for the wait. Perhaps it was closing time (and were I likely to try shopping there again I'd doubtless take the trouble to research their business hours.) If so, it's the first time I've encountered the retail policy of eschewing the traditional explanation about trading having ceased for the day in favour of ignoring customers until they work it out for themselves.

I popped into a nearby shop owned by a friend, and was told about the East Dulwich Forum, where bewildering experiences such as this can be shared. I spent the ?80 for our impromptu BBQ party meat elsewhere.

If you like you can be in my "humiliated by the butchers of WR" gang. I was an eager customer for the first two or three years popping in all the time for my meat fix, ordering my Christmas meat feast etc. Until one year I tried to place my Christmas meat order and was roundly and rudely refused in front of a huge line of people. Never seen me before they urged. What? Had my eager custom, and participation in the ritual of queuing and queuing and queuing and handing over fistfuls of cash meant nought? Seemingly not.

I haven't been in since, but I don't imagine they care.

If you ever chance it down Deptford market on a Saturday, Wellbeloved Butchers are excellent.

Have always thought WR good quality but v pricey.

I heard Ladywell is getting a butchers shop. Will let you know if it's any good. :)

Working in retail myself, I find it bloody annoying that you "walked in" at 5.30pm. Have to say I would have ignored you myself. You have all day to buy the meat you desire. Why should they stay open late for you? Pretty selfish of you to think they don't want to go home to host their own impromptu BBQ.

Catzy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Working in retail myself, I find it bloody

> annoying that you "walked in" at 5.30pm. Have to

> say I would have ignored you myself. You have all

> day to buy the meat you desire. Why should they

> stay open late for you? Pretty selfish of you to

> think they don't want to go home to host their own

> impromptu BBQ.

Haha. This is one of the essential differences between retail in the UK and the States, and it's why I mostly shop online in the UK. But I love to shop in person when on holiday in the States!

Hey, are there any decent online butcher shops delivering locally???

I have been to William Rose at 5:30 in the afternoon, there were lots of staff inside cleaning up and the door was closed. I dithered outside in my usual undecided manner until one of the staff opened the door which turned out was unlocked, beckoned me in and served me.

Maybe they had an off day Grizelda, no excuse but sometimes we have them. I use them weekly and looking back can not remember one bad experience so I for one am grateful to have them here in East Dulwich.

phobic3000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All you had to do Grizelda is say, "excuse me, are

> you still serving?" Instead you chose to walk out.

> However I agree it was a bit rude to ignore you.

And all they needed to say was "I'm sorry, we're closed." when they clearly have a customer waiting. Any half decent person in retail wouldn't assume the customer realised it was closing, particularly if they hadn't put up a closed sign or locked the door. Customer service in this country really is the worst in the English-speaking world.

Azira wrote

> And all they needed to say was "I'm sorry, we're

> closed." when they clearly have a customer

> waiting. Any half decent person in retail wouldn't

> assume the customer realised it was closing,

> particularly if they hadn't put up a closed sign

> or locked the door. Customer service in this

> country really is the worst in the

> English-speaking world.

I agree its rude not to even acknowledge a customer but if Grizelda had simply asked if they were still serving maybe he or she would have been served. Maybe they were really busy cleaning up and assumed, wrongly, that the customer would interact with them. Poor customer service.

"Customer service in this country really is the worst in the English-speaking world."

Really? I think you're shopping in the wrong places.

and who is it that pays your wages? yeah the customers .i worked in murrays when it was in rye lane and part of the training was to leave what you was doing and serve anyone that came in ,regardless of the time ,your attidude you would not of lasted a day there .