Organic bush meat

cn150

I was thinking kangaroo or crocodile meat as I have a visitor from Australia coming soon (from near Perth). Is that not bush meat /bush tucker? What else does bush meat mean then? I think you can get farmed roo or croc meat, but I do like eating organic food generally, so I would prefer to get it organic if it is available.

"Bush meat" means wild meat, including monkeys, primates etc. There have been various rumours that you can buy this on Rye Lane, but no idea if they've ever been true. It's very illegal.

No idea about organic kangaroo/croc. But I can recommend iceland's kangaroo burgers, even if they don't say organic on them.

I think a butcher is really the wrong place for something like that, you'd be better off buying online. The seller should be able to tell you whether it's wild or farmed.

The point I was trying (perhaps badly) to make was that wild/game meat cannot be considered truly organic because it's not been fed a controlled diet.

Oh dear - no I don't want any monkey meat. Iceland? - I've never been in there, as I normally only shop at Sainsbury's Local for everything. I think I'd prefer steaks or strips of meat rather than burgers though.

Isn't that what they eat in Australia? I saw a Ray Mears show once and he was in the Australian outback hunting and eating a crocodile. I was going to get some butternut squash for roasting as well - then I'll cook it all on the BBQ.

Lidl does a wide range of exotic meats in the frozen section. I believe most kangaroo meat is from wild animals in Australia. Apparently many Aussies feel a bit weird about the idea of eating it - a bit like English people tend not to like the idea of eating horse.

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> (Although I can't help but think this thread is a wind up)

I'm starting to think the same. "Isn't that what they eat in Australia?" I mean, come on...

Ok, Borough Market - I'll try there, though normally I just restrict my shopping to the local area of East Dulwich / Nunhead / Peckham to help maintain the local economy. Where specifically in Borough Market should I go (and what bus goes there)?

cn150 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ok, Borough Market - I'll try there, though

normally I just restrict my shopping to the local

> area of East Dulwich / Nunhead / Peckham to help

> maintain the local economy. Where specifically in

> Borough Market should I go (and what bus goes

> there)?

Good to here you are trying to source Locally reared Kangaroo and Crocodile..

Borough Market 40 bus from east Dulwich

G'day mate.

DulwichFox