Lack of choice at Picturehouse

NewWave

I felt the need to post because more than once in recent weeks I've wanted to see a movie only to find that for whatever reason It isn't being shown at our local cinema, meaning that I have to look to attending other theatres in the PictureHouse chain.

and yet movies seem to run for weeks and weeks on end with scant change to the program.

Eg: Amy is still showing after around a month.

New release Iris is not being shown until the end of the week.

Anyone else been frustrated by things like this?

The reason that the cinema is still showing "Amy" is because people still want to see the film - if they didn't want to see it, they would take it off. The Picture House is a business, not a hippy style workers co-operative run by flower children (though it would appear that certain people would prefer it if it was).

If a second cinema opened in LL, then no doubt some people would complain that there were only two cinemas and that there wasn't enough choice in those two cinemas.

It seems that there are some people on the EDF who just love to complain, regardless of whether they have a real grievance.

Wouldn't class my critisicm as 'a real grievance' but nor is it complaining for complaining's sake.

I love having a cinema in ED. I just find it slightly disappointing when they take up a 3rd of their screens with a celeb biography.

Having a cinema in ED is great, but it shouldn't be immune to criticism just because people are pleased it's there. And calling anyone that dares criticise it "pathetic" is pretty shitty.

I think it is a fair point to suggest that keeping a film on for a month when you only have 3 screens is a bit limiting. You don't have to agree, but it's not pathetic.

People need to grow up.

I've never thought of a "picture house" to be on the same level as a "normal" cinema - meaning mainstream cinemas such as Odeon or Vue are the kind to show the big blockbusting/film of the moment/latest releases whereas a the likes of the Picturehouse were not so main stream and could/would choose to screen whatever they liked. Have I missed something?

Seriously I don't know why people bother going to the cinema in East Dulwich when you can get a free trial of Netflix for a month ( 100s of films) and 10 pizzas for ?5 from Iceland, more money than sense all you blow ins etc etc etc

It's just the 98% of the local population who love having a new cinema getting annoyed with the 2% minority who seem to enjoy kicking off a variety of new threads on what are essentially really petty moans. Easy trolling.

Nobody's saying it's above criticism but starting a new thread each week complaining about popcorn or that it's showing a successful, rated film that you personally don't like is either stupid or trolling. Likely both.

Amy is currently only one late showing a day on one screen and it's still taking money because it's a great place to experience a successful,highly regarded film. That's how small cinemas in neighbourhood locations can stay in business in a Netflix world. People seem to have forgotten the last 50 years already...