Herne Tavern... don't take your kids

anoTher

This pub really does hate children! It's close to my daughters' school so we've ended up there a few times recently.

A few of us went there today with our respective 5 year olds just after school around 4pm. The bar staff came out to the beer garden and started reprimanding our kids (not us) for 'making too much noise' within five minutes. Now I'm allowed to tell MY kids off, but bar staff in a public house most definitely aren't!!!

We understandably were upset about this so decided to leave immediately. On our way out I mentioned to the staff/manager that if they weren't happy for children to be in the pub they shouldn't advertise as a family friendly pub - since clearly they aren't.

The manager took offence to this and proceeded to criticise our parenting and then quite hilariously went on to brag about his own daughter getting in to Cambridge. Of course I assume she'd never been allowed to make any noise in a public space when young, what a fantastic parent he must be!

Advice to anyone thinking of going, unless your kids are in Ox/Bridge (at the age of 5) don't bother going because they are miserable f..ks!

I'm only writing this review because this is not the first time it's happened in this diabolical establishment. Please, please change the management of what could actually be a very nice pub.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d1995077-r309372889-The_Herne-London_England.html#

Jeepers. I have been in the Herne when the noise from the kids screeching round the garden rivalled a 747 taking off. I have seen multiple examples of jaw dropping neglectful parenting (e.g. mummy and daddy getting pissed whilst Timmy and Molly go drink sharking) that have never been challenged by staff. So either they have suddenly decided to take a hard line with rowdy kids (about time), or you and your kids were beyond the pale. We shall never know.

I say well done The Herne !! Pubs are places for adults to escape to. If I enter an establishment (restaurants included) where little Chlymdia & Little Uranus are bounding around noisily as if it's their playground - I leave. Lost trade. I don't understand why you would take children to a pub after school anyway?

Hi all - I was there having a drink with 2 friends at the time this happened I think

Firstly, as someone with slightly older kids myself, I'm a bit confused at the questions of why you'd take your kids to the pub ? Maybe they had come from the park already and were looking to treat their kids to a tea out or something? Also this pub had a big children's playground and kids menus - so it's hardly unheard of so see kids in family friendly pubs- they were trying to attract them ! Parents are still adults so if they want a beer in the pub why not take your kids to a ( supposedly) family friendly pub

Anyway, I think this is an issue of perceived behaviour and communication by the staff. I'm not going to go into details as I'd like to see this pub do well - and fine there isn't a playground anymore- but maybe the staff should be a bit more polite and less aggressive to those who understandably think it might still be there. I'm sure those parents would normally be back without kids and probably in greater numbers so maybe the new management should think carefully about that.

HappyFamily Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi all - I was there having a drink with 2 friends

> at the time this happened I think

>

Interesting as it makes the earlier post inaccurate

"messageRe: Herne Tavern... DON'T TAKE YOUR KIDS!!!

Posted by anoTher Today, 02:23AM

If they had any other customers at the time I may agree with you..."

Popped in last night for the first time in months for a few early evening ales. Most enjoyable in the garden without hoards of screaming kids running around and the few that were there were well behaved. No more climbing frames, the garden looked great as it began to get dark with soft lights and candles. There was a good vibe inside too. The new staff and management seemed a very friendly bunch to me. Looks like we've got a decent pub back again. I've always liked the Herne but it became unbearable when it was treated like a cr?che by some parents. I now feel it's safe to go back again on a more regular basis and I will be. Cheers!

Agree with JL. I couldn't bear it (even with my own child). It was a place where parents often went to booze the afternoon away and abdicate all their parental responsibilities. It was like Lord of the Flies in there most weekends. I can imagine that's what the new owners want to stamp on so fair play. Also I don't really like people showing off with their petty Trip Advisor links.

The garden looks absolutely amazing the management have spent a lot of money revamping the garden. Children should be controlled if they want to climb trees take them to yhe park across the road where they can scream shout and run around.at their leisure rather than destroy somebody's property. after all it is a garden not a playground.

Agree that kids should be well behaved, or not be in pubs/restaurants/cafes/etc at all.

But the "why did you go to the pub" questions are IMO a bit out of order. For all you know, the OP just wanted somewhere to have a meal together in the sunshine. Or perhaps they'd had a rough day and couldn't face making dinner and clearing up? Or perhaps they just thought a lemonade for the kids (and a glass of wine for themselves) would be a well earned treat all round. Basically - it's none of your business.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Agree with JL. I couldn't bear it (even with my

> own child). It was a place where parents often

> went to booze the afternoon away and abdicate all

> their parental responsibilities. It was like Lord

> of the Flies in there most weekends. I can imagine

> that's what the new owners want to stamp on so

> fair play.

It was all a bit 'Lord of the flies'

Ha ha!

So what have we learnt from all of this. As OP let me summarise:

It's had over a 1000 views.

There are a number of people on this forum who, like The Herne despise kids/parents and don't think they should be allowed in pubs.

There are a number of people who like to cast aspersions with scant information on other peoples parenting.

And that, as was the original purpose of the post The Herne Tavern is not a place to take young children.

Oh, and the EDF is rife with trolls -maybe you should all meet there, you deserve each other...

anoTher Wrote

-------------------

> Oh, and the EDF is rife with trolls -maybe you

> should all meet there, you deserve each other...

Oh super, I haven't been on a troll's night out in ages, name the date and time - I assume it will be at the Herne 😉

I assume traditional troll dress is compulsory and good hearty troll singing too whilst swinging steins of beer 🍻

anoTher Wrote:

> So what have we learnt from all of this. As OP let

> me summarise:

> It's had over a 1000 views.

> There are a number of people on this forum who,

> like The Herne despise kids/parents and don't

> think they should be allowed in pubs.

> There are a number of people who like to cast

> aspersions with scant information on other peoples

> parenting.

> And that, as was the original purpose of the post

> The Herne Tavern is not a place to take young

> children.

> Oh, and the EDF is rife with trolls -maybe you

> should all meet there, you deserve each other...

Can we take our kids to 'troll-nite'?