The Lordship pub - great food, spacious, great service.

TreacleRabbit

I've been to the pub 3 times in the last month for lunch: every time it has been really quiet. I'm not sure why, as the menu is interesting and the food has all been great, and the service really friendly. It's much better than a lot of foodie pubs on the lane in my view.

So I thought I'd put my opinion on the forum!

We've had the squid, the burger, the broad bean gnocchi, roast lamb and good coffee.

I did look for existing threads, but couldn't find any.

For some stupid lazy arsed reason a lot of people can't be bothered to go that extra 100 yards up the Lane along 'the strip' to experience this lovely pub. For some reason a lot of ED folk seem to think Lordship Lane ends at Franklins. I like The Lordship and would use it more often if I wasn't so impoverished at the moment. It's one hell of a lot better than its recent past incarnations and dare I say it the re-opened all new Cherry Tree others are raving about, though I like that too and it is certainly far better than the recently refurbished Bishop which, to be honest I've never been fond of.

I'm looking forward to trying the Hogs Back TEA as well as sinking a few of my favourite Timothy Taylor's Landlord and I shall be eating there soon too as a have a lunch booked for Sunday week for when my lovely niece comes over from abroad so the wine will be flowing too.

I have been a few times in the evening (Usually Thursday) 9.00 ish and on every occasion there has been

no more than 4-5 people in the bar and the same sat down eating.

The one member of staff serving was very pleasant and seemed pleased to have someone to talk to.

The Timothy Taylor Landlord is very nice but Peroni at ?5.40 (Not ?4.50) is enough to put many people off.

Apart from the Great Exhibition and the Actress , The Landlord is my nearest pub. Could not face a whole

evening drinking there.

Foxy

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For some stupid lazy arsed reason a lot of people

> can't be bothered to go that extra 100 yards up

> the Lane along 'the strip' to experience this

> lovely pub.

People seem to be going there from the Village since the Dog has been closed though?

Sadly we were put off by bad initial experiences. Maybe it's time to try it again.

Hmm, maybe will give it another go. Great opening night, but having been since then have felt it a bit sterile for just drinks. The food menu has also always looked fairly pricey and not very interesting for the non-meat options, whenever I've checked it in the past. Haven't looked in a while though so will drop by and see this week.

That's not true Jah Lush; there are pubs in central London which sell Peroni for ?5.

Anyway, I have just returned from a meal here and agree with most of the thread title, save for the last part. The service was awful. The staff were running around like headless chickens and the head chef resorted to delivering our food himself, because he was fed up of seeing his food waiting on the service counter.

?35 per head for three drinks, two starters, two mains (admittedly the more expensive mains) and 1 desert. I'd go back, but I'm not in a great hurry.

• 2 weeks later...
Had a superb lunch at The Lordship yesterday. My companions had the roast, which they were very pleased with whilst I had the fish, which was a triumph. Started with a lovely ale moved on to a very good sauvignon blanc, then a couple of bottles of a rather lovely Argentinian Malbec and finished with brandy. The staff are lovely, the atmosphere was very agreeable and I can't wait to go back. All in all a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Had a superb lunch at The Lordship yesterday. My

> companions had the roast, which they were very

> pleased with whilst I had the fish, which was a

> triumph. Started with a lovely ale moved on to a

> very good sauvignon blanc, then a couple of

> bottles of a rather lovely Argentinian Malbec and

> finished with brandy. The staff are lovely, the

> atmosphere was very agreeable and I can't wait to

> go back. All in all a very enjoyable Sunday

> afternoon.

Started with a lovely ale moved on to a very good sauvignon blanc, then a couple of bottles of a

rather lovely Argentinian Malbec and finished with brandy.

What did your companions have to drink JL ?

Foxy

• 6 months later...
Nice to see The Lordship now getting steady trade midweek and pulling a decent crowd at weekends. Unpretentious, friendly bar staff and casual but really decent food space at the back. I went last night and had the half price burger (every Wednesday). Rare breed meat etc etc ?6 and was lovely. Good ales too. Hats off to them...