Advice - Side Return Kitchen Extension

Pelly8

Hi all

My husband and I are moving to the area soon and are thinking of doing a side return kitchen extension. It's a Victorian mid terrace.

I don't know anyone who has had a kitchen extension done and I wondered if anyone on the forum would be kind enough to answer a few questions amd make a few recommendations...

FirstLy do we need an architect to draw up plans or for the extension or would an experienced builder have an idea of what to do without an architect?

If we need an architect, should be go to an independent architect or would it be be easier/cheaper to go for a company that can do everything (like build team)? If you use an independent architect, did you source the builder/joiner/electrician/plumber/glazer yourself?

I have spoken to two local-ish architects and they have both quoted about ?60-?70k depending on finishes - does this sound right? Has anyone done it cheaper and who did you use?

If you have had a kitchen extension done would you recommend the people you used, and if so would you please send me details?

Is it worth it in the end?? We don't have kids, and from some of the threads I have read it might be best to get the project done before we start a family....

Sorry about these basic questions - thanks in advance!!

We were going to do this, but in the end decided it wasn't worth it. I believe some people offer a full design and build service which I suspect would be more expensive than co-ordinating an archttect, structural engineer and builder yourself but undoubtedly less stressful. Unless you've got excellent project management skills I wouldn't even consider individually contracting with the tradespeople. Apart from the stress, you are then liable for any errors in failing to co-ordinate properly, whereas if you're contracting with just the builder they are liable for the subbies.

In our case, the extension was going to be small and fairly basic - just 1.5m x 3m - but the cheapest quote we got for the build was ?25K plus it was clear our neighbours weren't going to be happy on easement of light grounds so we didn't bother.

Hi Pelly8,

Firstly, welcome to the area.

On the subject of side return extensions, we had one done by a local builder around 5 years ago. We commissioned the architect to draw up plans and they in turn submitted them to the Southwark planning department for approval. They also had structural calculations done by an engineer they knew.

I then took on the role of project manager and worked with a local contractor who'd done an extension for us at our previous house. Being self employed I could take the time to source the materials and be on site to oversee the build and make sure things were being done correctly - and the L.A. building control officer visited regularly to check on key stages too. The contractor then called in the other trades i.e. plumber, electrician, plasterer, joiner, bricky etc.

When the build was finished and we switched on the wet underfloor heating, the 40m2 of expensive basalt tiles we had just laid began to crack. The contractor blamed the architect and vice versa, but as PM I ended up with the problem as neither was prepared to accept responsibility for whose fault it was. Build cost was around ?45K and finishes added around another ?25K to that. Therefore it was cheap for what we got but flawed ('scuse the pun).

So, were I doing it again I would probably either employ one of the contractors who take on the whole thing including planning design and build. Or commission the architect to see it through to completion and manage the contractor, then you have some recourse if something does go wrong.

Tony Pestana BTW did a beautiful job for some friends of ours and SE Design and Build (speak to Keith) did an amazing job for some other friends.

And in answer to your question of having it done before you start a family, yes as we also made the mistake of having the build done with a new born baby in the house - not recommended! Was it worth it, absolutely!

Thank you so much Azira and anoTher for the posts and the advice! AnoTher, the cracked tiles issues sounds like a night,are - hope it got fixed.

I think if we are going to do it then I'll have to get someone to project manage for us but I'll definitely check out Tony Pestana/ SE Design before deciding whether to go for it!

Hi

I have done it both ways (hired and independant arichtect and builders and PM'd it myself / hired a team that does the lot!)

A team that does that lot takes a lot of the stress away which when I was working full time was very important.

We are actually in the middle of our third build and i have gone down the route of using an full team again - the same time i used lasted time.

We have used Absolute Lofts & Absolute Extensions - they sort out the architects /builders / plumbers blah blah and the standard of work I found with our specific team to be excellent. Obviuosly with the size of our project there have been a few problems but they have be resolved without any complaints.

The 70k price seems very high to mean! Unless it is a very high spec need lots of steel and fancy custom made doors etc. I would say anywhere between ?30-45k depending on the actual job seems reasonable. We are paying ?40k this time just due to the size of the extension and 5 years ago we paid ?30k but that was a smaller job and that didnt include the architect which was a good few more thousand on top.

Hope this helps

Hi Pelly8,

We are a local Architect company who might be able to help you achieve what you want within a suitable budget. We have done many side and rear extensions and have worked with some good local contractors (builder companies who do everything including plumbing, electrics etc). You can get an idea of our work and testimonials from our website: www.nimtim.co.uk and we would be happy to show you completed projects.

Good luck!

Nimi