Pharmacy First, Southwark

peckham_ryu

Southwark NHS is publicizing 'Pharmacy First', a scheme promoting pharmacies rather than GP's as first port of call for minor conditions. One of the main benefits is for folks who are exempt from prescription charges: they can get some medicines free in the pharmacy, without needing to bother the doc.

Details here: http://www.southwarkccg.nhs.uk/news-and-publications/Campaigns/Pages/Pharmacy-First.aspx

I love a freebie, and I'm exempt from prescription charges, and I have a grotty cold, cough and headache, so I thought I'd check it all out at some local chemists. According to the website, the conditions covered include coughs and colds, headaches, sore throats, and loads of other minor things no sensible person should be troubling the doctor about normally. Here's how it went:

First stop: Day Lewis, Bellenden Road.

- A dead loss today. They're in the scheme, but the regular pharmacist is off this week and she is the only one who can do it. As Day Lewis have loads of branches locally, I asked which one would be able to serve today. The check-out lady suggested that I walk down to the next nearest one (10 mins away) to ask there, but she didn't know if that branch would be part of the scheme or whether their usual pharmacist would be in. No thought of checking before sending me off. A shame, because I really like the pharmacist here, and it would have been different had she been there. As it is, they rather blotted their copy book today.

Next up: Vale Pharmacy, Lordship Lane

- They're signed up to Pharmacy First, but the charming check-out chap regretted they haven't yet got through all the necessary NHS bureaucracy to be able to offer it yet. He directed me the short walk up the road to:

Sogim Pharmacy, Lordship Lane

- They're signed up to the scheme. I presented my symptoms and came away with my free prize: 48 ibuprofen. Saved myself ?1.48 :-)

- A bit weird though how the pharmacist talks to the check-out chap about the customer, as if you weren't standing just a few yards away: she seemed a bit put out by the whole thing. I had some other things I would have bought there, but I found their manner discourteous enough that I'll just wait until I go to Sainsbury's.

Anyway, I didn't get any free cough mixture. Despite the website specifying colds and coughs, the list the NHS gives the pharmacies doesn't cover those, apart from paracetamol. I'll stick Benylin on my supermarket list. (Incidentally, Sainsbury's pharmacy is also on the scheme ? I just prefer to support local chemists.)

Interesting. I heard about this scheme earlier in the year, and as hayfever was one of the covered conditions I went to my local Day Lewis pharmacy to get Piriton for one of my children. It's not something I would take up a doctors appointment with, but last season we were using a lot of medicine and the cost was adding up.

They were happy to do it, the service is always good and that day was no exception. We went through the sign up process, they took my daughters details etc.

I went back a couple of weeks later to get some more, and got a very different reception from the (different) pharmacist. Was told that the scheme was "to cover emergencies when you can't get a doctors appointment, not for regular use". I was made to feel a bit like I was trying to cheat the system. I haven't used it since!