Stall North Cross Road

Bob Buzzard

You apply to Southwark council. but be warned, its is very difficult to get onto the NCR unless you can prove you are able to handle the space for a long period and have all the required insurance etc. They are inundated with feckless people fancying a punt with crappy diamonte dog collars and that ilk - they are looking for people who have commitment to do this all year round, and not just for Xmas.

It's a nightmare to get a stall, I've tried and failed for the last 2 years. There may seem to be lots of empty spaces, but they're all taken up by holders who turn up whichever weekend they like rather than being there every weekend like all the good holders are. The permit covers both friday and saturday and as you'll see there's rarely more than 2 stalls on a friday, but you cant get a permit for the friday only even if it improved the market, because they're already taken up with poeple who don't set up on a friday. James Barber responded to my concerns about empty spaces - two weekends in row I counted 11 or more spaces, and said he'd follow up but never heard anything more.

Action can be taken if stall holders on the NCR do not run up- they can be subject to sanction. Obviously it is a balancing act for the council - for every hog roast and pig meat vendor who will turn up every week regardless of the weather, there will be random table top artisanal stuff that comes and goes as the stall holder is balancing a p/t business with family etc. It is worth chasing the market section of the council - in a nice way- to show you are serious.

If not, speak to the stallholders and see if there could be some symbiosis to be had with your stock and ideas.