Howdens Kitchens?

nwebb18

Hi

In my opinion Howdens are a good option -well made. Builders like them because the carcases are pre built - i.e. you need to just attach them on the wall. The main issue is mark up. If you can get it at trade great, but most builders will put on a mark up. 10%-20% is reasonable but I have seen a ?4k Trade kitchen marked up to ?17k which still came in a little bit cheaper than buying it non trade.

Worth looking at these guys as well http://www.theusedkitchencompany.com

My kitchen was from Howdens and I certainly cannot fault the quality. My builder said they were up there with Ikea for (reasonably-priced) kitchens that will last the distance.

We had some delivery issues - they didn't deliver when they said we would and it cost us a couple of days. Luckily my builder was very understanding. This was, however, the Sydenham branch and I wouldn't tar all of Howdens with the same brush.

The annoying bit is that they can be awkward with helping you out (as the non-trade person). I wanted to go and look at different options for handles, finish etc. and they weren't very happy about me turning up without the builder being present.

I have a howdens kitchen which I had fitted 2 years a go. My builder allowed me to pay howdens direct through his account at trade price.

The quality is very good value and I found the service pretty good when I went in to choose worktops, taps, etc. They knew I was purchasing through a builder and couldn't have been more helpful.

Howden's kitchens are great. I have fitted many of them over then years. The team down at the East Dulwich branch are friendly and helpful. One of the best things about Howden's is they keep almost everything in stock, so should there be any issues, be it with the design, the delivery or anything else they can be resolved quickly.

For a high quality kitchen without the expense, buy Ikea carcasses and then get a joiner to make solid wood doors of your choice, with worktops and appliances again of your own choice. More involved than an all-in-one package like Howdens, but worth the effort. Remember, it's what you want, not what's easiest for the builder...

I am still delighted with my Howdens kitchen 5 years on. The hob is brilliant and easy to keep sparkly. The best thing was only having to deal with my very user friendly builder as he arranged everything direct with Howdens - they were happy to have stuff returned also so no waste. Would recommend although it obviously helps if you have a great and communicative builder too.

My Lamona integrated fridge freezer conked out after only 2.5 years - beyond repair. Dishwasher and oven still going though. Also, the freezer wasn't frost free which I was a surprised about, thought they stopped making those years ago.

ETA - Lamona is Howden's brand of appliances, think they are made by CDA who don't get good reviews.

Howdens are middle range mostly prebuilt upon delivery there appliances are crap so source these elsewhere. You can only buy howdens kitchens as a trader with an account not anyone off the street can buy them but they are on par with the likes of b and q and wickes etc . .so unless you want to pay 20-30k for a kitchen then howdens are OK . . if it was me i would go with howdens but source appliances and worktops elsewhere

gog Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have a howdens kitchen which I had fitted 2

> years a go. My builder allowed me to pay howdens

> direct through his account at trade price.

> The quality is very good value and I found the

> service pretty good when I went in to choose

> worktops, taps, etc. They knew I was purchasing

> through a builder and couldn't have been more

> helpful.

Exactly the same here. The Dulwich Branch were very helpful, even when the builder made some mistakes. I did not buy their appliances, which were overpriced; use someone like Appliances Online or John Lewis. Also sourced cupboard handles at a 50% saving and solid oak wood worktops for more than 50% cheaper.

Azira Wrote:

> stevie23b Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > do not repeat do not buy Ikea kitchens and

> expect

> > a builder to sort out the mess that you will be

> > in.

>

>

> Care to elaborate?

I also thought about Ikea as an option, but far too many builders whom I asked for a quote simply stated that they do not fit Ikea Kitchens are they were too fiddly/difficult to fit, so I ended up with Howdens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Jenq, we're in the process of having a Bells kitchen fitted at the moment, so I can't give a full recommendation yet but from what I've seen so far I would recommend them. There has been a hiccup or two but that is being sorted out at no cost to us, and one of the advantages of going with a local shop with a reputation to keep is they're willing to do that. They can also come on site quickly if there are any issues. They have a lot of suppliers / flexibility and are happy for you to source bits elsewhere if you can get a better deal. The cabinets and hardware they've provided are excellent quality. Their chosen quartz supplier, Jetstone, is a bit on the pricy side I think but I'm sure would be good quality.

OD Wrote:

> Azira Wrote:

> -----

> > stevie23b Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > do not repeat do not buy Ikea kitchens and

> > expect

> > > a builder to sort out the mess that you will

> be

> > > in.

> >

> >

> > Care to elaborate?

>

>

> I also thought about Ikea as an option, but far

> too many builders whom I asked for a quote simply

> stated that they do not fit Ikea Kitchens are they

> were too fiddly/difficult to fit, so I ended up

> with Howdens.

Ikea kitchens fit right to the wall whereas other kitchens have a 50mm gap at the back for pipes/wires etc.

Many builders - not all - don't like them because they have to cut holes for said pipes and wires.

Other than that they are good kitchens with a 25 year guarantee (and an extra 5cm of space at the back).

• 5 weeks later...

We have just had a brilliant experience having our kitchen made by Tom and Malcolm from Weir Woodwork (http://weirwoodwork.com/). They are based locally and like others here I would highly recommend them.

We really liked how they worked. They were professional, communicative, reliable (unlike pretty much everyone else involved in our never ending house renovation!). They were also perfectionists who we felt paid close attention to the finish and quality.

I think they came in at a reasonable price especially for a bespoke kitchen that is made exactly to your design and space. I enjoyed the design phase with them and felt they gave lots of good creative input and expertise as well as listening carefully to what we wanted.

I've attached a picture of our finished kitchen and on their website I think you can see more examples. They finished our kitchen this autumn and it got loads of use this Christmas and stood up to the task brilliantly. We did a lot of research into Howdens, Ikea, John Lewis and British Standard kitchens and I am so pleased we went with Weir Woodwork. They came recommended by friends who raved about them and whose kitchen was very stylish.

I am sure they will get very popular and busy but if you can get in with them soon I would strongly recommend it.