Rose Pub Forest Hill Road, is it closed?

Kamonfeek

Only been 3-4 times.. a couple of times when Curry Club has met there when going to Omrith.

Never got any ale on and only 1 lager and bottled beers, Well there were no staff on hand that knew how to change barrel.

Place is dismal.. On one occasion it was so cold in there. 'no heating' the governor was behind the bar

wearing a hat and overcoat... and again no beer. No food available.. and about 3-4 customers Sunday lunch time.

It's a dump. Always has been. Even when I knew the manager several years back.

Don't understand why. Only competition is The Hearn.

DulwichFox

I thought it was undergoing a refurb? Nothing much seemed to be happening though when I walked past the other day. Firmly closed and no work appearing to be done. Hmm... it's true it is mostly empty, which is a shame. It's a good space and really could be a great 'community pub/Ivy House style' pub though I'd be equally happy for a Late Knights/Beer Rebellion makeover.

They also barred a lot of the regulars, which actually wasn't so bad as many of them were boorish oafs but at the same time they stopped having the football on in the pub and it has been pretty much empty ever since, apart of course from when there is a funeral up the road and the pub is used for the wake, those engagements were, it seemed, the only time it ever got busy in recent times.

If the story of it being taken over by the people responsible for The Rye then that can only be welcomed as at least it will be run by people who know what they're doing and have a clear vision of how they want it run. The Rye, whether you like or not is a success story and hopefully they can repeat the trick at The Rose otherwise I fear it'll be gone for good.

annabel42 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a shame. It started off so well when it was

> taken over by present management - serving tapas,

> then jerk chicken on Sundays, roasts etc. Perhaps

> they chopped and changed too much; they just

> weren't consistent.

Wasn't it mexican / tapas, something for everyone when it opened

And an 'open Mike' stage, which just makes for a great place to eat and drink

There are lots of stories that do the rounds about how the pub is run and why it seems to be struggling.

From a personal perspective, every time I've gone in over the last year, they simply don't have any beer in. Usually Guiness and one lager. The bar staff can never say why they don't have more nor say when they'll get more in. So I don't go in any more. It's a shame as the food has always been pretty good.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> How is it out of the way DF? Maybe only for you.

If it's NOT out of the way, why does no one go there? Would seem out of the way for many.

Apart from a kebab shop and a not so busy Indian restaurant (cos its also out of the way)

and a cemetery not much going on round there.

More people in the Cemetery paying their respects on a Sunday morning that eating Sunday lunch in The rose.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How is it out of the way DF? Maybe only for

> you.

>

> If it's NOT out of the way, why does no one go

> there? Would seem out of the way for many.

> Apart from a kebab shop and a not so busy Indian

> restaurant (cos its also out of the way.

There is also a new caf? that opened recently a little further up that is apparently doing a roaring trade plus more shops and restaurants further down that appear to be doing rather well.

It's still only 'out of the way' to you. The Gowlett does very nicely with no surrounding shops or restaurants on a back street but then its 'out of the way' or 'too far' for you and yet you live only a five or six minute walk away from it.

It's not 'out of the way' to people who live nearby. It's a 10-15 minute walk for me and I don't consider that 'too far' or 'out of the way' at all.

Presumably the caf? opens during the day. Unlike the Rose in my experience.

Like wise the Gowlett which I have walked passed during the day only to find it empty.

With pending Physio and Arthroscopy on by knee its kind of more than 6 mins to The Gowlett and IMHO

not worth passing other pubs to get to. Even friends who live in Ady's rd. who were regulars no longer go there.

The Rose is just under a mile is a 15 min walk.

After being robbed and knocked unconscious a few years back Crawthew / Lacon rd. I'm careful where I go at night.

I certainly would not venture down Gowlett road on my own.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How is it out of the way DF? Maybe only for

> you.

>

> If it's NOT out of the way, why does no one go

> there? Would seem out of the way for many.

> Apart from a kebab shop and a not so busy Indian

> restaurant (cos its also out of the way)

> and a cemetery not much going on round there.

>

> More people in the Cemetery paying their respects

> on a Sunday morning that eating Sunday lunch in

> The rose.

>

> Foxy.

Perhaps you've not been to that area for a while but there is more going on there than you suggest. A new cafe, Norris and Knight (which is lovely), the French Cafe which is now an evening restaurant, Si Mangia (a busy restaurant), a wonderful turkish supermarket and now a Hammam spa just to mention a few!

I think the venue has amazing potential- a huge garden area for a start. Can't see how it is out of the way!

To my observation the staff and manageress/ owner were far from pleasant. Often ignored at the bar while they have a chat. Often sat in the beer garden (lovely when sunny) surrounded by dirty glasses, ash trays etc, not because it was so busy the staff didn't have time (empty)while the mangeress/owner sat drinking and smoking with her mates.

There has been at least one long thread on EDF about rude behaviour in this place.

Fingers crossed someone does something fab with it!

I suppose people go where they live.. The local..

Over the years I have used the Uplands (Jim Smith era), Palmerston(old) , The Foresters , Bishop , EDT , as my regular watering hole..

Also used the Wickham Arms Brockley nightly for many years despite being far away. (1980's)

Had many friends there.

Foxy