Cheese Block Cheesed Off

rubyroo

If you've ever left a shop feeling like the service was below par, the Cheese Block takes it to a whole new level. The girl behind the counter could not have been less interested when I asked for her advice on 3 different cheeses. There was an audible sigh when I had the audacity to change my mind on one of the three, even though she hadn't begun to cut it. The bill (?23 so not exactly cheap) was slapped down on the glass counter top with no 'thanks very much' or 'see you soon'. I very rarely complain but I did a couple of days later over the phone as every time I walked past the same girl was there. The owner couldn't have given a ****

Sad as it's clouded my view of the place. I think their range is amazing but will definitely think twice before going again.

They have a great selection of high quality and interesting cheese (and not stocking Cambozola is evidence of that). It's expensive but not really overpriced, given the range, quality and location. I've always found the service to be efficient, at least. But it's a difficult place to love, largely because you don't get the sense that the owner has any real enthusiasm either for the product or the customer. The contrast with Mootown, for example, was always really stark.

Yes, the owner is hardly the friendliest of people and I've always found the place rather uninviting. Odd, considering he's part of the family that runs SMBS Foods, where they are always friendly.

The Cheese Block doesn't have that great a selection either. It's like someone's idea of a cheese shop rather than one run by someone who loves what they do.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> SMBS hardly win awards themselves for uberfriendly

> customer service! It's pretty brusque in there!

>

> Maybe the new competition down the road will warm

> them up a bit.

I've never found them brusque Bob, maybe it's you!

*Bob* Wrote:

> SMBS hardly win awards themselves for uberfriendly

> customer service! It's pretty brusque in there!

>

> Maybe the new competition down the road will warm

> them up a bit.

What competition is that? The much improved Turkish deli? Or have I missed an exciting new development on the Lane?

I've stopped going to both SMBS and CB having become appalled at the surly, brusque and generally unfriendly customer service at both establishments. I now buy things from OV, who are very welcoming and friendly - they order several items in specially for me that aren't usually kept in stock. It's worth noting that OV also sell a variety of cheeses too. After I'd stopped shopping at SMBS and CB I was not at all surprised to read several poor Google reviews (plus others online) complaining about the rude and, quite frankly, unacceptable behaviour of the staff at SMBS and CB. It's also worth noting that OV sells a good many products cheaper than SMBS too.

(I've change the names to stop some suspicious SEO text working - Admin)

geh Wrote:

> Cheese Block and SMBS. East Dulwich staples with

> make Lordship Lane a richer place.

It's a fairly joyless personal shopping experience (for me and I've give it a few goes, but life is too short)in CB. But I thoroughly enjoy and often rock at how 'in y'face' bluntly funny honest the SMBS team can be. I can see how some might be offended somewhat, but hey it's still funny as I quite like seeing the 'offended' with their nose out of joint