Has has anyone seen Lee Jefferies, the carpenter?

Becca Saunders

Had a few carpenters round, all found through East Dulwich Forum, at the end of October to quote for a built in wardrobe and went with Lee Jefferies as he seemed pretty experienced and offered a good price. He said he needed a down payment of ?300 to buy materials and start constructing the wardrobe, which we transferred in return for a copy of his driving licence.

We didn't hear anything from him for 10 days and then he came round when we weren't in and left a message saying that his phone was broken and not to panic. Unfortunately he doesn't use his email address either!

This was about four weeks ago and we are now starting to panic as his phone is still out of use and we still haven't heard from him. We have written him a letter to ask him to make contact but are not holding out much hope!

Lee mentioned that he does a lot of work in East Dulwich - has anyone seen or heard from him recently, or is having any work done by him at the moment? We really need to get hold of him!

Thank you!

I did some research when I first saw him recommended as I was thinking of using him, but couldn't find any reference to him or his number outside of EDF so was wary as I tend to be very risk averse about that type of thing.

Good luck.

I had a similar experience with a gardener I found through edf who then left halfway through the job with most of the money paid. It took a lot of effort to get the next stage completed and we ended up getting someone else in to finish it. Good luck. You have his address which is very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Becca,

I've had the same issues with Lee - he has almost finished my kitchen, and fitted flooring and skirting boards in my kitchen and bedroom. I last saw him on 30 October (and I can vouch for his phone being broken). I'd paid him 2/3 of the money that he quoted, and to be honest, we were about equal in terms of money to work done.

And then he just disappeared, having told me he was going to start on my utility cupboard the next day (and leaving my tiles ungrouted and drawers handle-less).

The thing is, he's left all his tools at my flat! Including his jigsaw, tile cutter, several cases of tools, work bench, even his stereo... Which just does not make sense at all.

I am due to go round to his address tomorrow, with his tools in the car. I am half worried that he's under a bus somewhere... Let me know if you've heard anything!! I'll update this thread tomorrow evening.

El

Hi there,

I do not know Lee, but wanted to say something to this matter. I also own carpentry/cabinet making company that is based in East Dulwich. I read above that you should not pay anything upfront and just pay when the job is finished - I strongly disagree with that. I as trades man also need the commitment from my clients that they will pay for the work they are having done and a deposit always pays. I know there is a lot of cowboys around, but there are also reputable works man that do what they said they will and take pride in what they do. All you have to do is find someone with a bit of history in your area and good recommendations too. They probably cost a little more but will end up fair bit cheaper in the end.

Good luck with finding Lee, hope you get it solved.

http://jr-carpentry.co.uk/