Fixing an Audi

'Morning EDFers,

I'm looking for an Audi mechanic/electrician.

I have a 12 year old Audi A4 Cabriolet. It's driven like a dream for the 8 ish years I've had it, but very recently I've been getting some problems with the electrics:

- buttons on the steering wheel don't work

- rear light or reversing light sometimes kick-out

- temperature gauge sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

- a very soft, repetitive beeping from an alarm (seemingly towards the boot of the car; and

- the other day the "engine management system" light came on. (Now, this has happened a couple of times in the last 6 months, but when checked by Kwik-fit on each occasion they've said it's an electrics issue, not an engine issue).

The car also needs a full service and MOT soon, but I'd rather get this fixed first. So, can anyone please recommend a good Audi electrician/mechanic to me, please?

Many thanks.

Hello,

Sorry to hear this - I had an A4 Avant that started with some similar issues - temp guage, the diagnostic port stopped communicating, climate control started playing up, and central locking started doing random things. There are 15-20 different ECU's throughout the car that control these things, and simply getting to them to test is an expensive labour cost.

In the end I couldn't really get it sorted - as cost for searching for these electrical gremlins became prohibitive. The best I could really turn up for audi auto electrics was a long way away, Turners Diagnostics at Hemel Hempstead.