Quote for carpets

kimp

I received a quote for carpets and fitting- 2 bedrooms and stairs (4 half stairs, Victorian terrace)that came up to ?2200- the carpets are around the ?28-?30 per sq meter mark. Is this a reasonable quote? It still seems a bit on the expensive side to me- I was expecting to come in at about ?1200 to be honest.

Thanks so far- I will email Jim- its a local carpet shop but I really like them so they will remain unnamed.:) I loved the service and would love to support local but there comes a point when the pennies need to count themselves. At the moment, the carpets are working out more expensive than my newly installed hardwood flooring which is insane.

I found there to be quite a difference in the quotes we got from 3 local shops and one further afield (for 5 bedrooms, landing and 2 staircases).

The differences in sq ft measured were quite significant, 30% difference between smallest and largest, this surprised us the most.

On top of that some didn't charge for fitting but charged through the nose for grippers, bars and underlay.

Those that were cheap on the above items also charged per sq ft for fitting..

And they all charged a different amount (list price or reduced for the actual carpet.

I'd get a few more quotes from the usual suspects... Lordship Lane, EJ Carpets etc etc...

We spoke to Jim referenced above but in the end decided to go via one shop so that if there was anything wrong with either carpet or fitting we only had to speak to one company.

What is the sq ft/mtr of your 2 bedrooms?

Thank you cheff and daveR very useful. I have just checked the prices online and I can find one of the carpets for at least ?10 cheaper although the other one I have chosen comes up more expensive. I will try EJ carpets this weekend. Will pm once I veify the dimensions of the rooms.

From when I last looked for carpets a couple of years ago, Nunhead Carpets and EJ Flooring in Forest Hill gave quite good prices, whereas a certain much more local shop was much more expensive.

We had our carpet fitted last year through Westminster carpets (towards forest hill) who were very good . We did have a quote from Jim cox ( who is a nice guy and sure does a great job) but it worked out not much different than Westminster.

It is always cheaper to but the carpet online yourself but you have to be sure of exact measurements etc so it is easier to go through shop who just do everything and get the job done in a morning.

We also looked at the shop in lordship lane , their quotes were very high and overall I found them a little rude. We spent ?3k through westminster and the same job was quoted at nearer ?5k with ll carpets. They also tries to rubbish Westminster carpets when I told them we were looking at quotes from them, which I thought was a little low.