CBT, Psychological Therapy & Counselling - Dulwich Village

Antennae

If anyone is looking for a perceptive and solution-focused therapist, I can highly recommend Dr Siobhan McCarthy. She supported me through an angst-ridden few months when I was at a loss with where I was by providing a warm, questioning and insightful framework to explore my issues. She helped me to clarify my goals and understand the source of my anxieties, leaving me with a holistic and practical toolset to manage my life going forward.

http://drmccarthy.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to echo the views of the reviewer above as I would also thoroughly recommend Siobhan to anybody struggling with anxiety. With perceptive gentle questioning she helped me quickly identify unhelpful patterns in my thought and the root cause of why I thought this way. Using this information she was able to provide me with a series of tools that I am now able to use in daily life to overcome challenges efficiently and practically. If unsure, get in touch and see for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just want to say thank you for your kind comments on my work.

I offer a range of services for adults and teenagers in the local area and see individuals, couples and families.

I have worked in therapies for over 20 years and I am a fellow of the British Psychological Society, where you can also find my details http://beta.bps.org.uk/. I am registered with all major healthcare insurer including BUPA, AVIVA and AXA to name a few. You can read my other reviews on google maps where I have a 5 star rating. My reviews can found by typing "psychologist SE21" into the google search engine https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=psychologist+se21&rlz=1C1KMZB_enGB560GB659&oq=psy&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l3j69i57j69i61l2.5096j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8.

If you would like to contact me you can do so through my website http://drmccarthy.co.uk/ or by calling me on 07796 530406, where I would be happy to help.

Thanks

Dr Siobhan McCarthy,

Chartered Clinical Psychologist and Family/Couple Psychotherapist.

http://drmccarthy.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...
Siobhan has been my CBT therapist through two really difficult periods in my life over the last 2-3 years. I'd always go back to her as she is a genuine person first of all and really cares about your wellbeing. Through the sessions with her, I understood many things about myself, including how to deal with 'impossible' situations or with specific people. That kind of objectivity is really important when you are so deep in problems that you cannot think or see clearly. Friends and family, no matter how well-meaning they are, can't always provide the kind of guidance you need. Siobhan made me feel at ease and I was able to talk to her about everything. I can't recommend her highly enough, no one should suffer alone.

• 2 months later...
Siobhan has been a very professional and efficient practitioner to help me with the appropriate and proven techniques on my journey to recovery from past trauma. She left me feeling confident I was in caring and experienced hands to overcome anxieties and trauma. The sessions I had with Siobhan were definitely worthwhile. I can't thank her enough again!

• 2 weeks later...
I recently went through a very stressful period in my life and was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. I had ten sessions with Siobhan and I genuinely feel so much stronger. She explained clearly why she was using various techniques and was so straight forward. I would highly recommend her. I now feel stronger to cope with life's challenges.

• 1 month later...
I feel quite emotional writing this. Siobhan has probably saved my life and certinatlty changed it for the better. she has given me life skills to help me make my life the best it can be. I did a lot of research before finding Siobhan. What I like about her is that her sessions are tailored to you as a indivual she uses lots of different techniques and knowledge. thank you so much

• 2 weeks later...
I'd wholeheartedly endorse the comments in this thread. Siobhan is warm, perceptive and wholly focussed on giving individuals the tools to change their thinking and to address unhelpful patterns and inner narratives. I have had many sessions with her over the past couple of years through some major ups and downs of depression. I feel much stronger and with the tools to help me deal with and overcome the low points as I continue to recover and face challenges. Siobhan has made an enormous difference to me and by extension to my family. I am enormously grateful to her and would urge anyone hesitating or nervous to try a session and see what a difference it can make!

• 4 weeks later...
I truly recommend Siobhan to anyone looking for a psychotherapist. She has helped me get through very dark periods of Depression and Anxiety over the years. There were numerous difficult issues and Siobhan worked through them with me, getting to the crux of the problem, with warmth, compassion and professionalism. She tailored the sessions towards my needs using various techniques and holistically. I am now in a much better place and I can't thank her enough for all that she has done for me.

• 1 month later...

I can also recommend Siobhan very highly. I was very distressed and suffering from

Post-natal anxiety and depression when we first met. I have to admit that for a while, I wasn't sure if CBT was the right thing for me and wasn't sure the sessions were really helping but something kept me going back. I can now see, looking back over the time, that I am now more robust and have developed ways of thinking and strategies that really have changed my way of thinking.

Siobhan is very professional and is excellent at homing in on key issues and pointing out where you might be making things hard for yourself with certain assumptions. I had a horrible relapse part way through our time together and the way she handled it was with great wisdom and warmth making me feel very safe and allowing me to bounce back very quickly.

Thank you Siobhan!

• 3 weeks later...

I came to see Siobhan after separating from my ex wife. Her help has been critical in making the correct decisions and managing difficult situations through a very difficult period of my life. She understood me, never judged and always came up with creative and practical life skills that worked for me. My life is now back on track, I am now happily remarried, have secured good access to my son and I am settled in a job I enjoy.

Thank you Siobhan!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I saw Dr McCarthy early last year after going through a very difficult period at work. The sessions have had a huge impact on my life - it sometimes takes someone else to break things down and install much needed common sense. Misplaced assumptions were worked through and it was remarkable how clearly I could think after the sessions. I would highly recommend Dr McCarthy if you are going through even a slight wobble, especially in helping to build up some self esteem.

• 4 weeks later...

Would follow the recommendations on this site for Dr McCarthy. She has had a huge impact over the last year that started with me being in the hospital with depression to the point now where I am hopeful about the future and excited about what is next. She has also helped me develop the skills and acquire the tools to maintain a better mental state.

Would highly recommend and happy for a PM if required.

Thanks, C R T

• 3 weeks later...

Dr McCarthy was recommended to me by a friend. She was incredibly helpful to me at a time where I wasn?t sleeping and had lost perspective.

I found her easy to talk to and, best of all, able to give me practical strategies which I could immediately implement.

Her direct approach to moving forward was extremely helpful and refreshing.

I have since used her strategies and have come back to her advice at times of difficulty. I wouldn?t hesitate to recommend her.

• 2 months later...

I came to see Siobhan for help through a period of acute anxiety last year. After the first session, I remember noticing already how much clearer my thinking was. I saw her very regularly for a period of about 4 months and it was incredibly helpful. She put me at ease straightaway and her gentle questioning and reflection enabled me to gain some real insights into myself (and others affecting me) in a way that was just amazing! She also helped me to think through how to manage potential difficulties going forward and I particularly liked the way we worked through practical solutions (that I still use today). I still go back for check in sessions but I can't thank her enough for how she helped me at a time when I felt truly terrible.

In short, she's brilliant and I can't recommend her highly enough. Thank you Siobhan

• 2 months later...

Please do give Siobhan McCarthy a call for any post-natal anxiety/depression issues. (And shout-out to anyone suffering - you will get through it I promise, but it's horrible and you have my sympathy.)

Siobhan saw me last summer when I was in a bad way having had my first baby - difficult birth and major problems bonding with him, having very dark thoughts, feeling very scared about the illness of PND itself and when it would end. I saw Siobhan weekly for a few months, then less frequently and have recently had my last session which I am sad about but at the same time relieved that I am strong enough now not to need any more for the time being.

As well as motherhood we have worked through some issues and mental clutter that had been building up. I feel very much over the worst of PND and am a happy mummy now. Siobhan's taught me so much about how the brain/anxiety/depression works and given me some invaluable tips for controlling negative thoughts, and about parenting too. I never once felt judged in our sessions and she was always kind, warm, patient and sympathetic. Don't hesitate to get in touch, and even if you don't feel it's working at once stick with it. I felt it starting to help after the first two or three sessions. Feel free to PM me. Thanks, Emma [drmccarthy.co.uk]

• 8 months later...
Thank you Siobhan for our excellent sessions, which have helped me a great deal. I came to see you primarily to deal with the grief of losing my mother after a long and harrowing illness and anxiety arising out of certain childhood issues (which also caused me to spend very large amounts of time in my head rather than actively experiencing real life around me). You handled everything incredibly compassionately but professionally and I was particularly impressed that you consistently pulled me back to reflect on practical goals and solutions rather than letting me dwell only on my problems. As a result, after a very reasonable number of sessions, I feel much better equipped to overcome the troubles I had and feel I received real practical benefit for life from our sessions. I would highly recommend you to anyone who felt they needed professional guidance and practical tools to help them with bereavement, trauma and/or the stresses of modern life.

Like everyone above, I have nothing but gratitude and praise for Dr McCarthy. She helped me out of a very dark place following my brother's cancer diagnosis. I was struggling to come to terms with the changes to our lives and to find a sense of normality and balance in my own life. We spoke very broadly in our sessions and covered many more areas of my life than I had imagined were relevant and it was game-changing. I managed (with Siobhan's help) to find my way out of that dark place and regain control of my life and emotions, becoming a much better support for my brother and family in the process. I never thought it would be possible to achieve such staggering changes to my emotional stability and well-being through talking and will remain forever grateful to Dr McCarthy for getting me through that awful period.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have had psychotherapy in the past but not for a few years. The first few months of this year were really tough for me and I was having a hard time balancing the demands of a very ill parent, young children, work...and keeping myself level. I had heard about Dr McCarthy through a family member and I am so very glad I contacted her. She has a results driven approach - very focussed and practical while also being warm, receptive and empathetic. At the first session we made a list of my goals for the course of appointments and Siobhan would refer to these regularly throughout treatment to make sure we stayed on track. We actually achieved the desired outcomes earlier than expected and Siobhan suggested we didn't need the final session we had booked in. I was so impressed with her abilities. I have had some real lightbulb moments and feel now have a lot of new skills and coping mechanisms to get through the tough times, as well as a much deeper insight into the history behind my own thoughts and reactions as well as those of my nearest and dearest. I cannot recommend Dr McCarthy enough if you are having any kind of struggle - work or personal. She will be straight with you at all times, and will guide you and push you to make connections for yourself rather than letting you visit her endlessly without feeling you have actually resolved anything. She is extremely wise and I hope she finds the time to write a book around some of her most insightful observations about how humans function and interact with each other and society as a whole as I think the world could really benefit from her wisdom.

• 4 months later...

I chose to see Dr McCarthy because I?was impressed?by all the amazing online reviews and it's now my turn to share my experience with others.

I needed help to?make a decision, I didn't know?if I wanted to give my partner another chance or move on. I would change my mind every couple of days and after 3 months I still did not know what I really wanted. I started?to be?anxious and couldn't sleep well. Combined with a challenging job and very little free time for myself, I was not doing well at all.

Each session with Dr Siobhan brought more clarity, different insight and many great tips to handle my anxiety?and stress and in less than 2 months I saw things from many different angles.?

I can't thank Dr Siobhan enough for all her help, it's made a huge difference and I became very confident and positive about the future in such a short time. I am still using her tips for?decision?making in my everyday life and I am so grateful for learning them.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your kind words EastLondon19.

For any new enquiries I have availability for either myself or my associates whom I would recommend, all my associates are senior grade clinical psychologist with between 8 and 25 years experience. When choosing who to work with your mental health make sure you select highly qualified and have experienced clinician, your mental health is important. For enquiries call 07796 530406.