Good local Fish and Chip shop?

Jess85

You'll struggle around here for a northern style chippy. The best ones have all gone. If you get Rose's east Dulwich road on a good day it's not bad, same goes for Codfellas on Bellenden Road. In my honest opinion, and it's a bit of a trek from here but very much worth it, a proper traditional and good quality eat in/take away old fashioned chippy would be 'Something Fishy' on Lewisham High street (opposite the market and indoor shopping centre entrance). They also do pies and sausages as well as traditional London Pie n'Mash with liquor. You won't be disappointed, very decent chip shop.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you get Rose's east Dulwich road on a good day it's not

> bad, same goes for Codfellas on Bellenden Road.

Completely agree.

For chippies in general, I suspect a 'good day' consists of a fresh change of oil, and the patience to cook to order only. If there's battered fish already fried and ready to go on the heated shelf that's always a bad sign because it's only really good when it's freshly fried. But you'll only find out how fresh or tired the oil is when you tuck in.

I've come to the conclusion that good fish n chips are only available at seaside towns. I long to be proved wrong locally :)

I'm afraid Louisa has called it right. You won't find a chippy to compare to a good northern one round here.

I tried Rose's the other day for the first time and was disappointed, the chips were a very odd shape and completely without flavour- goodness knows what oil they are frying in. It was adequate, but for a tenner for a small-ish fish, chips and a tiny pot of peas, I want more than adequate.

I've had Codfellas in the past and it's ok. Same with the one recommended on Forest Hill Road. OK, but just OK.

The best I had round here was Sea Cow a few years ago, but it was expensive and now gone.

I have had good fish and chips in London- Two Brother's in Finchley was good, as was Toffs in Muswell Hill. Alas, both in North London.

If you ever find yourself in Margate (highly recommended as an away day) make sure you go to Peter's Fish Factory on the front. Best i've had in the South.

Louisa Wrote:

> Something Fishy Lewisham;

>

> Small Cod and Chips ?4.70

> Large Cod and Chips ?7.60

> As is;

> Plaice,

> Rock

> Haddock

>

> Skate or Scampi with chips ?8.60

>

> https://www.zomato.com/london/something-fishy-lewi

> sham/menu

>

> Louisa.

And it's good Louisa you say? I like an old fashioned tasty fish and chips- nothing messed around with. Thin, crisp batter, plump fish, fluffy (not floppy) chips. I will make a trip there if it ticks those boxes?

titch juicy Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Something Fishy Lewisham;

> >

> > Small Cod and Chips ?4.70

> > Large Cod and Chips ?7.60

> > As is;

> > Plaice,

> > Rock

> > Haddock

> >

> > Skate or Scampi with chips ?8.60

> >

> >

> https://www.zomato.com/london/something-fishy-lewi

>

> > sham/menu

> >

> > Louisa.

>

>

>

> And it's good Louisa you say? I like an old

> fashioned tasty fish and chips- nothing messed

> around with. Thin, crisp batter, plump fish,

> fluffy (not floppy) chips. I will make a trip

> there if it ticks those boxes?

I promise you won't get more old school than this place. It's been there donkeys years and is always packed. Fish always cooked fresh, crispy batter and good portion sizes. No frills, just good honest grub. They also do a decent all day breakfast, and the tea is nice and strong. It's a proper 'cockney' eatery, they're friendly too. As I say, eat in or take out, it has a canteen feel to it. It's packed out most lunchtimes for good reason.

Louisa.

Would agree with Louise re something fishy! They also have a sister branch in downham if you're ever passing through.

Went to olleys once found it to be very oily and overpriced. Kens in Herne Hill also good for chips

I would agree with Westnorwood boy make the trip to Kennedy's leigham court road streatham hill.

It isn't east dulwich but is so worth it the queue is often out the door.

Not only can you get all the usual fried treats you can also get grilled squid, prawns freshly made scampi calamari etc.. all cooked to order.

It certainly won't disappoint your craving.

Though at this rate you probably won't want to look at a cod what with all these reccomedations to get through

Haha.

Happy fishing!!!

That might have been a typo, but if so it was a very prescient one, because there's the most superb fish'n chip cafe right on the beach in Dunwich. Which is in Suffolk. Well worth a visit if ever you're down that way.

Re. roses, I got some last week. The chips were revolting, greasy and dry and hard at the same time with no taste. Horrible. The fish was average but nothing to write home about. I certainly won't be risking going back to catch them "on a good day".

Pugwash Wrote:

> Emily's on North X Rd

Got to say that Emily's on North X Road is about as bad as i've ever had anywhere. I gave it a second go as it's only fair (I might have caught them on a bad day) but it was even worse.

The feller seems really nice, even if he was lying to me as blatantly as it's possible to do ("Look mate, lovely fresh chips, i'm cooking these fresh for you"....ad infinitum, while he lifted previously cooked chips from a separate part of the cooker and put them back in the oil).

Shame, because it's very much my local.