Forum Sponsors

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageArchitect recommendations please (side return project)
Posted by AZH February 15, 01:53PM

Can anyone recommend a local architect that you've worked with on a project such as side return or other extension? I'm looking for a few ideas to look at kitchen side return, but don't want to use a design and build company as all the prices received are just crazy so far.

Thanks!

messageRe: Architect recommendations please (side return project)
Posted by Greg4b February 16, 12:59AM

Please try RDA Architects Ltd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was february 16, 01:01am by Greg4b.

Posted by Jemmarc February 16, 08:34PM

We used Chryssanthi Perpidou at Office 25 Architects - she is a local mum - to draw up plans for a granny annexe in our garden. For personal reasons we have decided not to go ahead but the design was great and she managed to get the council's approval.

I know she has done a lot of other work locally so she can probably give you some more relevant examples of work.

www.o25.gr

Posted by tom55 February 17, 12:44PM

We used Rhys Howell Owen Architects...very professional, and he's a local. I've heard a few people recommend him on here too.

Posted by Esteli79 February 25, 08:12PM

Hi,

We used Charles from a local company called Context Architecture. He was very good. We got planning permission for a loft conversion and roof terrace in a conservation area which was not straightforward. We got exactly what we wanted and they were remarkably better priced than others too! We had an initial visit (without any obligation to proceed) which was very informative. Highly recommend! Their website is: www.context-architecture.co.uk

Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was february 25, 08:13pm by Esteli79.

Posted by bonaome February 26, 08:14AM

Stephen Turvil [www.stephenturvilarchitects.com] - we're using him right now for a side return project. He's been great. We used an architect because our building has had various add-ons built over the years (not by us) and we have a dropped ceiling above the kitchen, and altogether our side return is not at all straight forward. Stephen has had some great ideas and we have arrived at a plan we're very excited about. If yours is a straight forward job, I'd just use the architect your builder uses for drawings for planning permission etc.

Side return extensions are usually an expensive undertaking, I think, as they involve new foundations and a lot of 'steel'. We're expecting ours to cost twice what it cost us to convert the loft, and perhaps a bit more, for example. Having said that, ours involves fixing the first floor issues as well.

Posted by Jeremy February 27, 04:14PM

I could be wrong here, but if you think the one-stop-shop type places are expensive (Plus Rooms, Build Team, etc), I'm not sure if you're going to make much of a saving (if any) by using an architect. Architects don't tend to come cheap.

Posted by abeattie February 27, 04:33PM

As per tom55 I'm currently using Rhys Howell Owen for a side return extension project and would highly recommend him too.

Posted by Paitro March 02, 03:05PM

these are top guys www.threearches.co.uk they worked a lot in SE and they do planning + building regulations

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed