Babette in Nunhead

Captkerk

Experiences at Babette in Nunhead.

It looks like the old Page II Pub has finally found a winner that will stick around. The menu is creative and exquisite yet simple. The service is warm and friendly.

A few issues exist however worth discussing. Three of us were there last evening and despite being a restaurant, there are people who seem only to come there to drink. This is not a problem except there is no where for them to hang out so the migrate between restaurant tables which is annoying and has certain perils like when a person pushed into our table and toppled our drinks.

You basically have two choices of sharing plates (Meat or veggie) and then you order sides. The combination of items on the sharing plates change daily resulting in the waiting staff not actually knowing what is on your plate. Every time we asked, we got different answers and this was a problem as some of our party could not eat certain things. Once they figured this out, they changed the chalkboard to reflect reality.

Babette is sweet and caring and listened to our issues when we spoke up and the waiting staff brought us some new replacements so problem was solved. I really lke this place but the issues are real. Anyone else?

• 5 weeks later...
We went there for lunch recently. I was very excited as I had heard good things and from the descriptions I had read I was getting my hopes high for something special. Unfortunately we left disappointed as we felt that the portions for Sunday roast were rather underwhelming and we basically departed hungry. In my opinion if you are to skimp on portions then the food has to be outstanding, which it sadly (again in our opinion) was not. Perhaps Sunday roasts are not their speciality but it was disappointing and we now hope, if we return, to be pleasantly surprised in the future.