Cracks in ceiling - is it a structural engineer I need to look at them?

Got a crack in a bedroom ceiling which seems to have grown - I hadn't been in the room for a number of years as it's been rented out to a lodger.

Concerned it might be more than just a cosmetic thing and want to get an expert to look at it, but not sure what kind of expert that is - but was wondering if it might be a structural engineer. Any tips and recommendations of useful contacts gratefully received.

most (older) houses are in a constant state of movement around here.

Every 10yrs or so hairline cracks may need filling, rubbing down and overpainting if you're wanting a 'clean' finish.

Why not do this for now and see how it develops.

Is the crack straight (i.e. along the edge of a plasterboard panel nailed to the joists above) ?

I agree with KidKruger, but you don't have to go that far if you don't want to. An engineer will need to satisfy himself if it is stable or not - if not, in what direction it may be moving. You say the crack seems to have grown - but haven't got evidence. An engineer will only be of partial help to you but may find other clues: cracked brickwork, sloping window sills, door frame not true and so on.

If it were me, I'd make sure the ceiling wasn't loose (push it about a bit), then I would use filler in say 3 locations - middle and both ends. When dry, draw a pencil cross with a ruler at each point. Next to it write the date.

Forget about for a few months and take a look then - you and an engineer will know much more about what's going on.

How do I know ? I've been involved in building subsidence for over 30 years and still bought a place in one of London's most prone subsidence areas.

Thanks for the replies. It was a hairline crack when I bought the house but it's definitely grown to something that looks like it's more like a couple of millimeters wide, maybe a touch more, and my lodger has now admitted she noticed it growing.

She'll be moving out very soon (which is why I was in the room, getting a quote for some work on it) so I guess I can get on a ladder and investigate a bit closer then. I want to renovate the room but there's no point doing anything else until I know what's going on with the ceiling as if that needs to be fixed it should be done first.