Butchers at Plough to Close

maxxi

Tomorrow in fact - he's moving the shop to Bromley.

I shall miss nipping in (no queues) for his excellent pork, (and bacon, chipolatas, black pudding and the guilty pleasure of those bags of home-made scratchings!) fine fresh cut Barnsley chops and well-aged rib eye.

Told me the big DIY place is taking over his shop and the one next door. What will replace the DIY shop he didn't know.

Speculation starts here.....

Hope the new arrivals don't get rid of the lovely tiling from when it was a butcher's shop many years ago. It was going to be ripped out and binned by the Chinese medicine owner but wasn't in the end, which was great, given that the next landlord was to be a butcher.

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It had no sign or window display.

>

> I'd be interested to see if he takes this unique

> look to Bromley

If you're down 'Locksbottom' way in a couple of weeks or so you can check it out. He is going to be opposite the Sainsburys down there.

Foxy - He was closed Mondays and Wednesday afternoons but open otherwise and he never put stuff in the window but had it in his display fridges inside and would also cut steaks and chops to order rather than have a platter of them in the sunlight.

I'd always thought it a shop to ignore - judging a book by its cover etc - until this forum encouraged me to visit and it was one of the best shopping decisions I made.

I shall also miss his own pollen-enriched honey (when you could get it).

Wimpole Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nooooo! This is my local and much preferred to the

> hyped up WR down the road

Go the other way to Libretto on Wood Vale, another old school butcher without a window display but fantastic product.

ruffers Wrote:

> Go the other way to Libretto on Wood Vale, another

> old school butcher without a window display but

> fantastic product.

This place is really close to me but I never know if it's going to be open or not......

Google doesn't really help either http://www.southlondonguide.co.uk/eastdulwich/klibretto.htm

Shame the newsagent has closed a few doors down. All looks a bit sad now - be great if some new stuff came along to re-energise that stretch.