Estate agents' signs

Nigello

One local agent says they do not put details on their boards as to whether a property is for sale or rent as a matter of policy. That sounds like it means they can get away with keeping signs up for a long time, always saying 'well, this property is up for sale/rent so it can stay' but the company says this is not the case.

What are the rules for such signs? I approached the company and what is above is what they told me. Are they pulling my leg?

The regulations applicable to "an advertisement relating to the sale or letting, for residential, agricultural, industrial or commercial use or for development for such use, of the land or premises on which it is displayed" say:

"The advertisement shall be removed within 14 days after the completion of a sale or the grant of a tenancy." (SI 2007/783)

There's a general guide at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/outdoor-advertisements-and-signs-a-guide-for-advertisers.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One local agent says they do not put details on

> their boards as to whether a property is for sale

> or rent as a matter of policy. That sounds like it

> means they can get away with keeping signs up for

> a long time, always saying 'well, this property is

> up for sale/rent so it can stay' but the company

> says this is not the case.

> What are the rules for such signs? I approached

> the company and what is above is what they told

> me. Are they pulling my leg?

Which local estatate agent?

The regulations applicable to "an advertisement relating to the sale or letting, for residential, agricultural, industrial or commercial use or for development for such use, of the land or premises on which it is displayed" say:

"The advertisement shall be removed within 14 days after the completion of a sale or the grant of a tenancy." (SI 2007/783)

Understood, but if the company says "we don't put contact details or whether it is a rental or sale property as part of our marketing/image strategy" it gives it carte blanche to keep them up forever because it is impossible to know whether the property is/was/will be for sale or for rent. Free advertising!

If they fit into one of the "deemed consent" categories such as advertisements "relating to the sale or letting ...", for school fetes, etc, they have that consent for the specified limited period only. If they don't have deemed consent, they would need express permission from the local planning authority. See the "deemed consent" mentions in http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/783/pdfs/uksi_20070783_en.pdf, if the government guidance booklet doesn't provide enough detail. From which ...

Requirement for consent

4.?(1) Subject to paragraph (2), no advertisement may be displayed unless consent for its

display has been granted?

(a) by the local planning authority or the Secretary of State on an application in that

behalf (referred to in these Regulations as ?express consent?); or

(b) by regulation 6 (referred to in these Regulations as ?deemed consent?).

The paragraph 2 exceptions are listed in Schedule 1, and don't include visible estate agents' signs.

So, a reasonable person - in relation to this firm's not placing information as to whether the property the sign is at is for rent or for sale - could say that the said firm is in breach of the rules, because it looks like blatant, time-unlimited advertising rather than a notice of sale or rent? I think so, but others may disagree.

These are such a menace. We actually have a sign up saying: estate agent boards not allowed and they just put them on top of it. Cheeky especially as we can see who they are. I vote take them down. They devalue the area as look as though people are constantly moving on. Bad!!!