Stay away from R M CONEY Carpentry

ffoster

I contracted R M Coney Carpentry to build 4 fitted wardrobes for my daughters' bedroom and units and shelves for the kids TV.

This was back in july 2017. we agreed to start on 10th July and finish end of July. To this day the work is unfinished, the snags have not been dealt with and the overall finish is poor. Reece is unreliable, uncommunicative and make decision with regards to changes to the work without your approval.

Reece started work a day later than agreed, but did not let me know, I had to call him/message/ email him to find out what was going on.

He would then turn up one day and disappear again without any explanation. I have a full list of message trying to find out where he was and whether he was turning up or not. When he does turn up, there are no apologies or explanations as to why he had not turned up.

I have been trying to contact him now for a few weeks, but he is deliberatly ignoring my messages, even my last formal email advising him that I had taken legal advice and giving him a chance to finish the work as agreed.

I must add that he has been paid in full, so i could add Dishonest to my list...

I have had the same experience with people (including Reece from R M Coney) that I have hired and paid for jobs.

I paid because I thought the jobs WERE finished, but I hadn't realised that there was poor quality work or things that had been missed.

So now I faced with the choice of trying to constantly chase someone up, to get them back in (when they keep saying they'll come back but at the last minute cancel or don't turn up) or hire someone else - but to have to PAY A SECOND TIME.

I have learnt my lesson. Whereas before I always paid immediately (especially people who are independent contractors as they have bills and families of their own) now I will be much more careful. I will now give it several days before paying to check and double check work.

The problem is a new paying client is always going to take preference over a snagging job where you have been paid and are not getting any more money. So once you have paid you lose all leverage.

That said - your only leverage is to spread the word like FFoster is doing, to warn others when someone does not bother to return and correct their mistakes.

I am waiting for Reece to come back and make alterations to some carpentry work he carried out for me. He has promised to return about 6 times now and each time he stood me up - with no real explanation or apology.

What makes it worse is that before I spotted the mistakes I was really happy with his work and I gave him a really good recommendation on the forum. I thought he was a really nice honest person and I am so surprised that he has behaved this way.

You need to check carpenters credentials - though cupboard building we would call them joiners. Check - where did they train? If they have no Level 2 NVQ or old CGLI then make them show customer references. Sadly the Tories then Blair government shut down FE colleges where we trained the next generation of trades and craft people.

And as for paying. I used to work on paying for materials up front then as job progresses with a 5% retainer for snagging.

Any client asking for work to be done and pay at end I would ask could you walk into Sainsburies and ask for shopping but pay later?

• 3 weeks later...

Bluorchid, for your information, I have reported Reece Coney (RM Coney Carpentry) to trading standards. And if I may I would suggest you do the same and anyone else who has been conned by Mr Coney of RM Coney Carpentry

I have had enough of the RM Coney Carpentry of this world,who think they can go around ripping people off with impunity!

Bluorchid, for your information, I have reported Reece Coney (RM Coney Carpentry) to trading standards. And if I may I would suggest you do the same and anyone else who has been conned by Mr Coney of RM Coney Carpentry.

I have had enough of the RM Coney Carpentry of this world,who think they can go around ripping people off with impunity!