Recommend an estate agent to sell a property?

Yes, I have read all the previous threads on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone has more recent recommendations or experiences to share, since the market has definitely slowed down over the last 12 months or so (not just in Dulwich but in the whole of London). Any comments via private message by people who wouldn?t want to name names publicly would be most welcome ? I know I wouldn?t as I?d be afraid of complaints, libel and what not.

I am basically undecided if I should try to hire:

a bigger agency, with multiple branches across the city and hopefully a bigger book of potential buyers (i.e. people who are willing to consider multiple areas), or

a smaller one, with maybe only 1 or 2 branches, possibly family-run, that knows the area better, but that will have a smaller book of clients.

Looking to buy elsewhere myself, I have been left totally speechless at how the one and only thing most agents do is open the door, and at how they are totally incapable of answering even the most basic questions, e.g. how long the lease is, how much the management charge is, etc.

I also appreciate that it is hard to generalise, as estate agency may have a high turnover, with employees moving from one agency to the other relatively frequently.

At the same time, I know a couple of people who failed to sell via online agents, and only sold once they hired a traditional agency; ah, without lowering their price, so it was either a coincidence or accessing an agency?s list of potential buyers does have some value.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I can't help you but am also looking for recommendations as to which agents to use to sell. I was surprised at how little the usually very fruitful search for anything on the EDF revealed. Is this a sign of the times I wonder. No Flies seems highly rated from what I did find but little else.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how you got on choosing an agent?

I?m stuck! I expected a certain service from my agent and I?ve not received it, despite as a potential buyer, seeing them do it with other properties! I?ve raised it with them etc..

Now I?m looking at other options.

Is it wise to choose an agent that has a number of properties in my price range for sale - therefore maybe higher footfall or is it too many for them to give the time/interest to market my property. As a potential buyer, I felt their viewing was disinterested, with the agent appearing to be distracted, and they?ve never come back to me on queries I raised about a lovely flat I saw for sale. So it?s seems like they are probably a ?no?.

Would an agent with a further reach and time to market your property based on less similar properties to mine on their books, be better?

I?ve no idea what may help things now!!

What you should do is use myself as A go between you and agent - been in relocation for years and this is what so did. It is really a case of getting the agent to WORK for you and is down to how good they are as individuals - not necessarily as a company. If you go down solevagency at reduced rate, stuck with them until period ends. If you go through multiple agents one would hope there would be level of competition between them but from what I have seen....

You could also advertise on sites yourself and see where that gets you / Interschool Advertiser is another option that is produced every quarter..possibilities are endless.

Could go slightly further afield say Forest Hill area or Brockley where agents might not have as much local knowledge but let?s face it at the end of the day, most info schools, area statistic etc are available on internet.

Enoughfree advice - PM me if you want more info or advice and good luck in which ever direction you goin.

A good agent is worth there weight in gold and will go that extra mile ..

Do they resist locally? Know of twoI would personally use but been in business a long time.

We have just exchanged on the sale of a 5 bedroom house in East Dulwich today. Winkworth were the agent that managed to find us a buyer and keep the chain together when things got tough. We had previously advertised the property for sale with Truepenny's and Pedder without luck. The whole team at Winkworth were very responsive and professional throughout. I am a property professional with years of experience buying and selling in East Dulwich and surrounding areas. I am happy to share more info if you want to PM me.