Condensing boiler broken down? Probable solution...:

Hi all, I?ve been inundated with calls this morning regarding broken down boilers...

1st thing to check will be the condense pipe (white plastic 21.5mm diameter). It will exit out of the bottom of the appliance and if your boiler has broken down will probably exit to outside and run to a drain.

Trace the termination of the pipe and you will probably find there will be a block of ice in the outlet. Pour some boiled water over it or get the hairdryer out and this should get the boiler going again. You may need to reset the boiler if it doesn?t spring into lifeafter he blockage has cleared. You should expect to see at least 2-5 litres of water come out of the outlet depending on the length of the run.

Hope this can help somebody!

Billy Hunter

Hunter Heating Solutions

Hi Billy,

Thanks for your advice. The pipe coming from my flat is quite long, I tried the towels and boiling water thing, but I don't think I got enough heat and then the towels froze so probably made it worse. I've tried a hairdryer, but I can't reach the whole length of pipe with it (it's a couple of metres to where it joins with another, larger pipe.)

It's been suggested that one can disconnect the pipe coming out of the boiler. Would you say that is possible?

Is it a safe thing to try?

Thanks for your help,

did you try the hot water on the area of pipe nearest the ground (where it would be the coldest)? my boiler was out of action with this problem today, but hot (not boiling - could crack the pipe) water all over the pipe - but mainly concentrated at the bottom - cleared it quickly.

top advice from Billy - who importantly says "boiled" rather than boiling water!

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Billy,

> Thanks for your advice. The pipe coming from my

> flat is quite long, I tried the towels and boiling

> water thing, but I don't think I got enough heat

> and then the towels froze so probably made it

> worse. I've tried a hairdryer, but I can't reach

> the whole length of pipe with it (it's a couple of

> metres to where it joins with another, larger

> pipe.)

> It's been suggested that one can disconnect the

> pipe coming out of the boiler. Would you say that

> is possible?

> Is it a safe thing to try?

> Thanks for your help,

Hi Lietoswim,

Apologies for the delayed response I'll be honest I have never known a day like this. I've had over 50 phone calls today with this issue! Need to stress this may not be a 2 minute process and in some cases I have even seen the pipe frozen going into the property. You can disconnect the pipe at the boiler end but would need to be able to contain the condense water that the boiler will produce and with some boilers that don't have internal traps it could produce levels of carbon monoxide so I wouldn't recommend it...

I am recommending now if you have no joy after around 20-40 minutes I would cut the pipe where it first exits the wall (preferably so you can get a new fitting on to reconnect it) just until the weather warms up a little.

Sorry if I haven't got back to anyone today yet I intend to reply to my missed calls over the next day or two.

Thanks, Billy.

Pete Bennison is also all over East Dulwich fixing this exact problem. He came to me within 90 mins of phoning.

These guys working so hard to keep us warm deserve some kind of community medal. Honestly I can?t tell you how grateful I am to Pete and his guys.

If you have this problem call Pete or Billy who sounds like he is doing the same job.

Pete charged what I can only say was a very reasonable fee for such a wonderful service.

This thread saved us from a lot of bother, from an expensive call-out and from freezing when we woke to no heating and a non functioning boiler this morning.Did exactly as described and problem solved. We will contact Billy when the weather improves for a full service. Thanks!

Just want to reiterate what a life saver Billy was yesterday.

My piping was so long that I had to cut it soon after it exited the house- instant fix! Water gushed out, boiler fired up and had a wonderful toasty house again.

Thank you Billy!!

Likewise! Panicked this morning but remembered reading this post yesterday and went outside to find pipe frozen, quick tap with a hammer and the backed up water came out!

Would add that we needed to re-pressurise the boiler too

frump Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This thread saved us from a lot of bother, from an

> expensive call-out and from freezing when we woke

> to no heating and a non functioning boiler this

> morning.Did exactly as described and problem

> solved. We will contact Billy when the weather

> improves for a full service. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...