Best traditional sunday roast in our area?

achoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would like to say The Great Exhibition's roast

> was fantastic when I tried it

When did you try it? Recently?

I had a truly terrible roast at The Great Exhibition a year or so back. The whole meal was so appalling they gave me my money back.

Hopefully the chef has changed since then. It should never have left the kitchen :(

Many thanks to all of you who provided an opinion about the best Sunday roast in the area!

Friends I and I were out yesterday and thought we'd share our experience.

The Phoenix, Denmark Hill

- Unfortunately we sat outside the restaurant for half an hour before learning they were booked for a wedding party. Sadly, the way we were told wouldn't win any customer service awards. At noon they put up a A4 poster and that was that (no indication on the website, etc.). The person putting up the poster was clearly rushed of their feet but customer service isn't their forte. None of us will be returning there anytime soon.

The Cherry Tree, Grove Vale

- A group of us pop in occassionally. Everyday bar food is good with exception of their wings (which seem to be baked and then some sauce thrown on).

- The roast wasn't particularly impressive: luke warm when arrived, roast potatoes dried out, watery gravy. Carrots and parsnips ok. The Yorkshire Pudding was huge and lovely, too bad it was cold-ish.

The Bishop, Lordship Lane

- Like many of your previous visits it also been hit and miss for us in the past.

- As we'd already eaten, we just sampled an appetizer: salt'n pepper squid which was simply fabulous -- freshly made, hot and tasty with homemade mayonnaise!

- Someone having the roast dinner said it was delish (and it did indeed look hot, fresh and well-portioned!).

- We're going to try them next time. Stay tunned :-)

While I know it's outside of East Dulwich, we've recently read about Chef Ramsey's 'revolution on roast'(there is a Southwark location). Sounds wonderful and we'll be trying it at some point.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input!

Kind regards,

Leslie

Are you by any chance connected in some way to this pub?

Just wondering .... :))

ETA: I have just looked at your other posts.

They are all pushing various Nunhead businesses in a similar vein, and some are asking people to mention your name when you go there.

I find this a bit strange. Could you explain?

• 3 months later...

The Plough does a really good roast dinner. Their roast platter is spectacular!

The Victoria on Bellenden Road is good, but a lot of money for not a lot of food.

I always find that you get poor portions on a roast when you're out. I wanna get into a food coma after a roast, not go home still peckish. That's why the Plough platter is good. Plenty of food. 3 different meats, yorkshires, 2 different gravys and all the trimmings

Agree with Sue on Great Exhibition, though admittedly it was a while back. I think roasts are subjective and as they're so easy to do well yourself, it's the last thing I want to eat out. I don't know who would be able to eat a whole Pyro roast! Having said all of that the Palmerston is prob my favourite, though not pub prices.

Michael Peacock is 'local colour' in Nunhead,

this post is his electronic sandwich board

his enthusiasm matches his appetite

There is nowhere here serving an excellent 'home cooked' Sunday roast -

the meat is always wafer thin, precooked/packed probably supplied by Brakes

although if I had to choose then the Palmerston it would be.

We have experienced a real Sunday lunch a 40 bus ride

away (no parking) which was sublime. We could see the chefs at work

in the kitchen from the pavement ; real meat and real roasties.

It was orgasmic.

Not tellin'

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are you by any chance connected in some way to

> this pub?

>

> Just wondering .... :))

>

> ETA: I have just looked at your other posts.

>

> They are all pushing various Nunhead businesses in

> a similar vein, and some are asking people to

> mention your name when you go there.

>

> I find this a bit strange. Could you explain?

The Clock House food is good but both times we went the noise levels were high and the usual ED challenge of kids running around screaming etc. The whole centre of the floor was taken up by a group of parents sitting/playing on the floor, fenced off by buggies so it resembled a cr?che. Probably won't go on a Sunday again but on other days maybe.