(Partial) Payment in advance for work?

The last couple of quotes I've had for work have been subject to me paying quite a large proportion of the final cost (a third or half) up front - apparently for materials etc. I understand that a contractor might find it difficult to buy materials before I've paid anything, and might fear that I might cancel or simply not pay. But I also feel nervous about passing money to someone, even with good references, before they have done anything. On previous occasions I have agreed with the contractor to pay a supplier direct for whatever they have ordered for my job, and I'm happy to do so - the contractor could go off with the materials and not do my job but I don't feel it is likely. Do all contractors now ask for a high proportion of the cost at the start? What do others think?

Depends on the job in my experience with builders most do ask for something upfront to cover materials etc try to find a established registered builder the cost may be slightly higher but its worth it for peace of mind if its only minor work there are quite a few highly recommended handymen on edf who will happily charge you labour only

As a decorator it all depends on the price of the job, a small job then obviously no but anything a grand or above then I would take a down payment and then have staged payments. Unfortunately building materials can come to thousands so a down payment is always requested. Take heed and take up references etc, people always fall for the trap of if you pay cash you'll save ?20,000.

Respectfully

Jason Corner aka jaypainter

Hi,

some wise advice,always ALWAYS take up a reference and book people based on solid reviews.

Last year I had a horrific situation on my hands where the cowboys in question took a large amount of money from me, started the job and never bothered to finish.(I didnt check them out and have regretted ever since)

Of course not all trades who ask for money upfront are like this and some genuially need to purchase materials upfront to start the job- just act with caution thats all and make sure they are legit.

*tee*

As a damp proof plasterer as a rule i don't ask for any monies up front and get payment via online banking when work is complete,if I have a job that's going to last around a week i normally ask for around 25% upfront paid via online banking to cover materials (waterproofer,Dpc materials) with balance paid when contact is finished and client is happy with work

Cheers

Dave (,plastercare)