Being held to ransom (by a builder)

clarinet

Duplice thread is here http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,1953077

Please can anybody help....We've had a loft conversion done and have been really unhappy with the way in which the builder has spoken to us and dealt with the project. Basically ran way over time. Although the builder did say they would fix a few things I put it all in writing as per the advice of the CAB. Now the builder refuses to remove the scaffolding until all money is paid upfront which is basically breaking our contract which clearly states I can keep up to 5% of the cost until three months after the build. Feel like we are being held to ransom. Anybody got any ideas. And yes, it is a local company so be warned. They put FMB logo on their paperwork but aren't actually members. Come across as being super friendly at the beginning but then just take the money as quickly as possible at the beginning and then just leave you hanging.....I've been to the CAB but just wondering if anybody else has had similar?....

I'm not sure if they are. Just need to know if it is illegal to demand full payment without a) finishing the job and b) removing the scaffolding. They've broken contract. Need some clear legal advice and/or hear from people who've had a similar experience.

Once you have paid the money, you are stuffed.

Make them stick to the contract, otherwise what was the point of having one?

Some solicitors used to give a free initial consultation, don't know if they still do.

The CAB should be able to give you names of local solicitors if that scheme still exists.

ETA: It would help others to avoid them if you posted their name up here?

Also some others may have had similar experiences with this company, and could advise?