M and S meal deals

Sue

So. First it was a main, side, dessert, all for two, plus a bottle of wine, for a tenner.

Bargain. Apart from the many factory farmed chicken mains, which didn't leave a lot of choice, but still a bargain.

Then they upped the price to ?12 but included prosecco as a wine choice.

Not popular, apparently.

So then they removed the prosecco option, added an extra side and kept the price at ?12.

NOW they have brought the price back to ?10 but removed the wine altogether.

All this in (what seems like) the space of a few weeks.

Memo to M&S - if you are going to introduce a really good deal, maybe you should look at the financial consequences first. I can't have been the only one going in mainly for that, which could surely have been foreseen.

And then think of the consequences on customer good will of suddenly whipping it away.

Can any M and S insiders shed any light? What's going on?

Sue, the wine with the original meal deal was plonk and thin. I bought steak and potatoes, which had to be cooked, which was a bit of a surprise at that price. We don't eat dessert (sugar thing) so the deal fell a little flat for us - always the same veg, not enough choice.

Yesterday at 5pm on the way home we called in for croissants for the morning : the shelves were empty, just a forlorn pack of pain o chocolate, and I don't understand - why this section is not stocked and restocked throughout the day?

Should you find yourself in Bromley, there is a much better selection, of this meal deal and food generally, as I guess

most larger stores, just that this is one with which I am familiar.

When I have asked (at LL) do you have, or why are the shelves empty, staff do make a pretence of disappearing in the back to look, return shaking their heads - and worse of all -

they do not open today until noon !! which is hopeless if you have people to lunch and need something urgently (mint, potatoes, or last week, meat!) (surprise visitors)

Something has to change, as at the moment it is disappointing to say the least.

I have used this option a couple of tomes and although the wine isn't great i still considered it a good deal. I also thought the 'two sides for ?12 was a good idea.

I wasn't aware of the latest deal which is a shame, but I do find M and S wines overpriced for the quality.

No the wine wasn't great, but you hardly expect great wine when they are practically giving it away as part of a meal deal! It was fine as plonk, in my opinion.

Generally, I think their wine is reasonably priced for what you get.

The croissants are baked fresh I believe, and I guess there isn't much call for them at 5pm. They do have both pre-packed croissants and bagels on the aisle next to the bakery - I got some yesterday afternoon.

They open 8 - 10 every other day, and are open till 6 on Sunday, I think opening at 12 on Sunday is reasonable.

I do agree their stocking needs reviewing. I find both the eggs I usually buy and also the Greek Yoghurt often run out, which is annoying.

And why have they stopped selling pots of herbs? (Well, I know why. Because they make more money selling tiny packets of herbs which don't keep).

Anyway, I didn't mean this to be a let's knock M&S thread, because on the whole I think it's great having an M&S up the road. I just wondered if anybody could throw any light on what is going on with their meal deal .....